Several Parallels 5 problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RodneyW, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RodneyW

RodneyW Junior Member

I'm running MacOS 10.6.1 on a Mac Pro with 12GB RAM.

I upgraded to Parallels 5 yesterday (I bought the upgrade and downloaded the full version), and the upgrade went smoothly. My Boot Camp Vista worked great, and I like having the Aero interface. I tried to use an important XP VM, and that's when my problems started.

I got the BSOD that is mentioned elsewhere, applied the recommended fix, and it worked. However, when I went to shut down the VM, I saw that there were Microsoft updates to be installed. I clicked the "Shut down" button to let Windows install the updates, and almost immediately I got the Mac login window. I did NOT get my Mac desktop back. I'm talking about the window I normally see after a reboot. However, the system was frozen. The mouse pointer would move, but I could not click on anything. I had to shut down the machine with the power switch in order to get the Mac working again.

My next move was to try to report these problems to Parallels Support. When I tried, however, the web page requested a 10 digit product code. I followed the instructions for getting this product code, and learned that I needed to register Parallels 5 in order to get the code. I had already registered and activated the product, and it shows as registered in my customer profile. However, I tried to register again. I received an e-mail from Parallels support saying that the product was already registered.

In summary, I can't get support without the 10 digit code. I can't get the code until I register. The product is already registered. Looks like I'm stuck...

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

We've created a support ticket #806014 with this problem, hope it will be solved

3. psw3305@rochester.rr.com

psw3305@rochester.rr.com Bit poster

Need support code to get tech support

I too am having troubles & can't find the support code, even though the V5.0 is registered on the site.
    How do we get a code ??

My problem is Parallels is looping on startup, with one of the quest OS starting by itself, looking for a server resource which can't be found. This is causing an "application not responding" problem & needing a force quit to resolve issue.

Attached Files:

4. RodneyW

RodneyW Junior Member

My code showed up today. Maybe it takes a couple of days for Parallels to get their database synchronized. Go to the Parallels home page, click "My account" at the top of the page, log in if prompted, then click "My Support Options" in the right-hand panel. Then, scan down the page for, "Parallels Desktop Support Code". It should be in the first item in a bulleted list right below the red "Submit" button.

The only way I found to contact Parallels (aside from this forum) without the code was to call their toll-free number and select "Registration and activation problem" from the voice menu. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on hold, and you'll probably have to call several times before you get through, but the person I reached eventually was quite helpful.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, it have became recentely a know problem we are working on it.

This Parallels KB should help:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5951