Shared folder disappeared after update

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mehron, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mehron

mehron Junior Member

It seems that my shared folder on the Windows desktop just disappeared after running the latest update. Is there something I'm missing? How is it that I create a new one?

Also, before updateing I was able to seamlessly click between the Mac OS and the Windows OS without using a key combo. It seems that that feature has stopped working as well. Any advice or is this a preference of some sort?

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Sharing is disabled by default in recent versions of Parallels, and updating older versions will result in sharing being disabled even if it was enabled prior. Check your VM configuration and see if your sharing has been disabled.

The policy to default to disabling sharing is to improve out of the box security as Windows has wide open access to the Mac's hard drive when global sharing is enabled. That created some heart burn for a number of users including me.

3. mehron

mehron Junior Member

Thanks. I checked my configuration and made sure that my Mac Desktop is enabled as a shared folder. However, when I try to use it from within Parallels I get a message "PSF/Macbook/Desktop The directory you have selected does not exist. Would you like to create it?" It will also not let me create it.

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

When I went to Parallels 3 the shared folder popped up only after I installed the new version of Parallel Tools.

Did you update the Tools after the update of Parallels? It is necessary.

Phil