Shared folders and buggy file permissions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eblot, Jan 21, 2007.

1. eblot

eblot Junior Member

Hi,

It seems there is a serious issue w/ Parallels VM RC1 (build 3120) with the shared folder feature:

When OSX files (HDF+) are modified from a Parallels VM - running Win2k SP4 if that matters - through the shared folder feature, the file permissions on the native partition are not as expected:

$ ls -lo api.py
    -rwxr-Sr-- 1 eblot eblot - 10422 Jan 21 19:14 api.py

regular text files, when edited in the guest OS, are stored with the 'executable' bit for the user, and even worse with the group ID on execution.

It's even worse when used in conjonction w/ Subversion (from OSX): the "user immutable" flag is set on .svn/entries file:

ls -lo entries
    -r-xr-Sr-- 1 eblot eblot uchg 4024 Jan 21 16:57 entries

(uchg flag in the above example), which prevents both Subversion from updating the "entries" file on working copy modifications, and the user from removing the 'set on execution' flag: chmod g-s entries fails with 'Operation not permitted'.

All the Python files I've changed from the guest OS have seen their 's' flag set !

Is this issue already reported. I've not been able to find a similar thread in the forums.

Cheers,
    Manu

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

This was a problem with pre-1970 releases... I thought they fixed this?

Not doubting your bug report of course, only that I thought it was reported fixed....

3. eblot

eblot Junior Member

Wow, I did not know that. This is a major issue, I really hope Parallels will fix it for the next official release!

4. scooch

scooch Bit poster

I've never noticed this problem until i upgrade to RC2 so maybe the bug has came back.

Any word of a fix, its causing havok for me as i work off my home directory from windows and a lot of apps are not playing right with the files. Particularly SVN.

Kind Regards,
    David

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is supposed to be fixed in RC2? Are you sure you expirience it in latest RC2?

6. scooch

scooch Bit poster

Yes thats correct, i've downgraded to RC 1 and it works fine. If you need more details on how to replicate the problem let me know.

Kind regards,
    David

7. scooch

scooch Bit poster

BTW i couldnt replicate the exact problem as Eblot.

In my case when checking out an svn repository in Parallels with RC2 it fails and in mac osx terminal i get this:
    drw-r--r-- 2 davidart davidart - 68 Feb 13 12:22 .svn
    $ cd .svn
    -bash: cd: .svn: Permission denied

So i guess thats the permissions problem with parallels i'm reporting.

8. dannybloe

dannybloe Bit poster

Nope

Welll, I just installed the latest beta (build 3170 RC3) and it still messes up the permissions. Especially with Subversion you will quickly notice this. However, if you uncheck the read-only check from within XP on the share, only then you can do things like svn update on the mac-side. But that's only a temporary solution.

Please please please fix this :)