Shared profile without shared home folder

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NoahO, May 14, 2017.

1. NoahO

NoahO Bit poster

Hi,
    I would love to be able to share parts of my profile (only specific folders) without giving access to my entire home folder to the guest OS.
    Currently I use linked clones to create secure environments. If I could share the Downloads folder without sharing my whole home folder, then I could save a lot of disk space as downloads wouldn't go into the linked clone VM, but rather, straight to the host OS X.

At the moment it is possible to enable shared profile, and untick each folder except downloads, however this just disables the profile linking on the Guest end. The whole /home directory is completely shared with the Guest VM, which is unacceptable because any VM can read all my private data.

Anyone have ideas how I could do this?

Attached Files:

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @NoahO, I'd like to point out that enabling sharing between Mac and Windows has nothing to do with disk space or linked clones. Mac files/folders appearing in Windows due to sharing being enabled are simply reflections of actual files/folders and are not real/tangible data that need extra disk space.
    Are you referring to the option 'Configure' under Options -> Sharing in the VM configuration window?
    Could you kindly describe the exact issue in Windows you are trying to convey by this statement?

Additionally, the error message seen in the screenshot you have provided only occurs when trying to enable sharing when 'None' is selected for 'Share Folders' in the same screen. Please let us know how this relates to your query.

Last edited: May 22, 2017