Shared server/network drive not showing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by benmrii, Aug 1, 2007.

1. benmrii

benmrii Bit poster

Hello-

I'm new to Parallels and I purchased it for one reason, to use my Mac at work. I have two programs that require me to use Windows so I'd hoped this would remedy that problem but I've encountered a serious hiccup.

When browsing for the F: shared folder it isn't appearing. I go to My Computer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive, select the F: Drive and click browse. Under Microsoft Windows Network nothing shows up except a generic Workgroup which is not a valid choice. Doing the same thing on my PC with the same ethernet or wireless connections I show the folder I need. Same thing on my Mac through OSX.

I've been able to access the Network Drive only by using the parallels shared folders option (I connect the server to my Mac and then point to it via shared folders). The problem is because this changes the path names the programs I have to run in Windows can't find the files I need on the shared drive with the path name changes. Another example of the problems I'm encountering is that when I browse for network printers it does not find any. In other words, I can access files but nothing else. The network connection is fine in the sense that I can browse the web, etc.

I hope this makes sense and someone may be able to help. Otherwise this program was unfortunately a waste of money. :(