Sharing Files on Linux not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by PhilippH4, Nov 14, 2022.

1. PhilippH4

PhilippH4 Bit poster

I already wrote the support team, but I hope to get a faster answer here:

I bought Parallels Desktop 2 months ago, to run Win11 and some Linux distributions on my Macbook Air M1.
    I worked mainly in Win 11 and everything so far works as expected. I turned on the option, to have my files of MacOS shared on Win11 and vice versa.
    Now I need the same on my Linux Ubuntu/Fedora VM. I went into settings and enabled all "Sharing" options. I tried everything, like Mirrow Mac and Linux user folders, share custom Mac folders (all ticked) but nothing seems to work!
    I am not sure what else can I try. I have to admit I am pretty new to Linux and a noob, but in the Win 11 everything worked from the beginning.
    I would need a fast fix, so that I can access on my native MacOS the files I create in the VM Linux distributions and vv., which means I also want to have access on files which are stored on my native MacOS and edit them on my VM Linux. I just cannot see any files other than the default Linux files on my Linux (and the few I created on Linux myself). (Maybe I am checking the wrong folders or I have to activate something in the terminal??)

2. PhilippH4

PhilippH4 Bit poster

No one?

3. KenD10

KenD10 Bit poster

I had the same issue, and I found a solution. Sorry for long delay, but, well, I am new here.

I just last week made a big switch. I had been running a 100% Ubuntu 22.04 laptop (System76 hardware). Now I've switched to an Ubuntu 22.04 VM (via Parallels Desktop for Mac 18) running on a new MB Air M2 2022. (Reason for switch: No fan noise!). I just now, after some research (which led me to your msg), figured out how I can read and write to the macOS filesystem from the VM. I am thrilled about this!

First, check and see if maybe you actually CAN see your macOS home folder from ubuntu ... maybe you just don't know where to look. Try this from a terminal window:

$ sudo find / -type d 2>/dev/null | grep /Home
    /media/psf/Home
    $

If you have some path to a directory (folder in MacOS parlance) called "Home" in your ubuntu filesystem, then most likely all your macOS stuff will be there -- your Desktop/, Downloads/, Pictures/, etc -- accessible as /media/psf/Home/Pictures, etc. In other words, my macOS /Users/myshortname/ maps to my ubuntu /media/psf/Home/ .

Here is how I got to this happy result. First, this article, even though it is a Parallels for Windows article, is helpful:
    https://kb.parallels.com/124928
    But I did not follow the instructions there exactly. (I am NOT saying their instructions are wrong or bad. I just stopped experimenting when I got desired result on my first attempt. I never tried following their instructions exactly.). Here is what I did:

1. Shut down the VM (shutdown is different from pause. I typed "sudo /usr/sbin/shutdown now" at a terminal prompt. "Actions>Shutdown" from the Ubuntu menu bar also gets the job done.)
    2. Open the VM configuration window, as in that parallels article cited above, and configure the "Sharing" tab a la attached screenshot.
    3. Start the VM.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

PhilippH4 likes this.
  4. PhilippH4

PhilippH4 Bit poster

Thanks for coming back to me for this. I actually did not use a lot of Linux lately and I have not tried any thing else since then. (I was even too lazy to contact the support for further details).

However I just tried what you have said in the terminal of Kali Linux. (I have only Fedora and Kali installed atm, but Kali is Debian based as Ubuntu).
    $ sudo find / -type d 2>/dev/null | grep /Home/media/psf/Home
    is not doing anything.
    I just checked the file manager again and what is interesting is that I can see and have access to all my iCloud folders and files. However nothing else.

The config of your screen is not new to me and I played around with it already several times. Will check now again.

5. PhilippH4

PhilippH4 Bit poster

sorry for double post but. I see no edit option here:

Ok I set the sharing settings as you and YES this helped! However, I still have no /User/ folder of my Mac available. But I have all files from Desktop, Downloads, Pictures and Documents.

If you could help me get also my user available I would be super happy :D

And just to be sure, and modification on any file on any OS has now consequences on both OS, right? So if I delete a file on my VM Linux it is also away on my native MacOS?

6. KenD10

KenD10 Bit poster

Hi,
    I think I have a solution, but first a disclaimer. I am a Parallels newbie, just figuring things out as I go, and hence whatever I say should be taken with a grain of salt. (For instance, I have discovered that there is no need to shut down or restart the VM. Changes to the sharing folders configuration have immediate effect.) Ok, that said ...
    Find your way to that same ' "Ubuntu 22.04 ARM64" Configuration ' dialog box seen in my earlier screenshot.
    Check "Share custom Mac folders with Linux".
    Immediately below that checkbox, click the button "Manage Folders..."
    You'll get a new mini dialog box. In this dialog box:
    The very first checkbox on my computer is called "Ken's Macbook Air". No doubt it's called something else on yours. This refers to your mac root directory "/". Check this checkbox.
    Now go to your VM (start it up if you haven't already) and open a terminal window.
    Your macOS root ("/") is now available to you (well, this is true for me, anyway) as /media/psf/AllFiles/ .
    And so your mac /Users folder is available as /media/psf/AllFiles/Users
    And, based on the barest minimum of experimentation I did just now, I tentatively think that whatever you do to your macOS files and folders will be immediately seen in the VM under this dir I cited. And vice versa. Whatever files/folders you add/delete/edit under /media/psf/AllFiles/Users will be immediately seen in macOS.
    Hope this helps!

7. KenD10

KenD10 Bit poster

You will probably find that you can see everything under "/", but you can only make changes under your home directory ( .../Users/yourShortName/ ). Afaik, that is true in macOS as well. So I'm guessing (I have not experimented) that your permissions are the same in both environments.