Sharing folders uses SMB v1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AllenH4, Mar 27, 2022.

1. AllenH4

AllenH4 Bit poster

When sharing folders between the mac host and the windows vm, parallels uses SMBv1 from the early 90s. SMB version 1 send lots of extra messages and is less secure and efficient than modern versions, the current being 3.1.1. Is there a way to force Parallels to do sharing over a more recent version of SMB?

Thanks
    macpro:~ aholmes$ smbutil statshares -a

=================================================================================================
    SHARE ATTRIBUTE TYPE VALUE
    =================================================================================================
    [C] Windows 10
    SERVER_NAME Windows 10._smb._tcp.local
    USER_ID 501
    SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
    SMB_VERSION SMB_1
    SMB_SHARE_TYPE UNKNOWN
    UNIX_SUPPORT TRUE
    LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. AllenH4

AllenH4 Bit poster

3. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello AllenH4, Please let us refer to the knowledge base article to share the files between Mac and Parallels virtual machine. Thanks.

4. DavidL11

DavidL11 Bit poster

GampaA@Parallels ... Could you provide a link to the specific help topic you are referring to? I just blindly searched https://kb.parallels.com/ for "share the files between Mac and Parallels virtual machine" and 100+ responses came back and I'd like to avoid spending all day going through all the results.

I'm having the same reported where I'd like to use SMB v3 vs v1 to access my Windows VM files from OSX to see if that improves performance issues I'm having.

When I run smbutil statshares -a in zsh I see the following indicating SMB_1 is used and I can't find a way to change this to SMB_3.

[C] Windows 11
    SERVER_NAME Windows 11._smb._tcp.local
    USER_ID 503
    SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
    SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
    SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
    SMB_VERSION SMB_1
    SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS AES_128_CCM_ENABLED
    SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS AES_128_GCM_ENABLED
    SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS AES_256_CCM_ENABLED
    SMB_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHMS AES_256_GCM_ENABLED
    SMB_CURR_ENCRYPT_ALGORITHM OFF