Yesterday the main computer died, and installed the backup onto the "backup computer".
Previously both users could run the same version of parallels at a time... Now it is no longer the case.
The volume that the parallels is on is an encrypted 25GB volume that is in /users/shared as Nu_Windows.dmg
Only one user is on the machine at a time, and the volume is mounted as a startup item in OS X.
From the Jo account it works just fine.
From the Heather account I get the following error when I click on the winxp.pvs in (Volumes/)Nu_Windows/winxp:
Unable to lock out the configuration file /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp/winxp.pvs
Then when I click "OK" I get:
Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:
Unable to get the geometry of the virtual hard disk.
Perhaps file /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp/winxp.hdd is not a valid virtual hard disk image file.
When I try and "Import" from a "Virtual Disk Image" I get:
"Unknown error occured while Parallels Transported was collecting he information about the selected disk image.
Make sure that: the disk image is not a read-only file; you have permission for this sile; the file is not used by other application."
For both users I have Parallels set to use the "Default folder for virtual machines:" (in the preferences) set to /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp
I have looked at the permission using "get Info" and they looked OK.
Here are the permissions as seen from the affected users account using a terminal:
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ cd /Users/Shared/
Jomac6:Shared Heather$ pwd
/Users/Shared
Jomac6:Shared Heather$ ls -lstar
total 52429120
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 31 May 2008 .localized
0 drwxr-xr-x 18 jomac5_admin wheel 612 3 Dec 22:12 Capture1
0 drwxr-xr-x@ 3 Jo staff 102 8 Dec 23:21 CanoScan LiDE 500F
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 2 root wheel 68 7 Feb 16:36 SC Info
0 drwxr-xr-x 6 Jo wheel 204 8 Feb 23:35 Crap
0 drwxrwxrwt 9 root wheel 306 8 Feb 23:53 .
16 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 jomac5_admin wheel 6148 8 Feb 23:53 .DS_Store
0 drwxr-xr-x 12 root admin 408 9 Feb 09:10 ..
52429104 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Jo wheel 26843701248 9 Feb 15:27 Nu_Windows.dmg
Jomac6:Shared Heather$
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ pwd ../
/Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ ls -lstar ../
total 2920
2880 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 1474560 20 Jan 2008 unattended.fdd
0 drwxrwxrwx 12 Heather Heather 408 2 Feb 2008 ASPACS Templates
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 476 3 Feb 2008 Assessment & Treatment Interventions
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 6 Heather Heather 204 4 Feb 2008 Burn Folder.fpbf
0 -rwxrwxrwx 1 Heather Heather 0 7 Dec 03:01 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 Heather Heather 15 7 Feb 19:30 .winxp.pvs.lock
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 544 7 Feb 22:47 .
32 -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 Heather Heather 12292 9 Feb 08:50 .DS_Store
0 drwxrwxrwx 6 Heather Heather 204 9 Feb 09:04 winxp
0 drwxrwxrwx 15 Heather Heather 510 9 Feb 09:10 .fseventsd
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 2 Heather Heather 68 9 Feb 15:27 .Trashes
0 drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin 136 9 Feb 15:27 ..
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ ls -lstar
total 23597168
16 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Heather Heather 6148 7 Feb 21:10 .DS_Store
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 544 7 Feb 22:47 ..
0 drwxrwxrwx 129 Heather Heather 4386 8 Feb 18:40 Windows Applications
8 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 3388 9 Feb 09:03 winxp.pvs
23597144 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 12081736192 9 Feb 09:04 winxp.hdd
0 drwxrwxrwx 6 Heather Heather 204 9 Feb 09:04 .
Jomac6:winxp Heather$
This was working previous the main computers HDD failing yesterday, so I know that it can be done... Just can't figure out how.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Previously both users could run the same version of parallels at a time... Now it is no longer the case.
The volume that the parallels is on is an encrypted 25GB volume that is in /users/shared as Nu_Windows.dmg
Only one user is on the machine at a time, and the volume is mounted as a startup item in OS X.
From the Jo account it works just fine.
From the Heather account I get the following error when I click on the winxp.pvs in (Volumes/)Nu_Windows/winxp:
Unable to lock out the configuration file /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp/winxp.pvs
Then when I click "OK" I get:
Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:
Unable to get the geometry of the virtual hard disk.
Perhaps file /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp/winxp.hdd is not a valid virtual hard disk image file.
When I try and "Import" from a "Virtual Disk Image" I get:
"Unknown error occured while Parallels Transported was collecting he information about the selected disk image.
Make sure that: the disk image is not a read-only file; you have permission for this sile; the file is not used by other application."
For both users I have Parallels set to use the "Default folder for virtual machines:" (in the preferences) set to /Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp
I have looked at the permission using "get Info" and they looked OK.
Here are the permissions as seen from the affected users account using a terminal:
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ cd /Users/Shared/
Jomac6:Shared Heather$ pwd
/Users/Shared
Jomac6:Shared Heather$ ls -lstar
total 52429120
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 31 May 2008 .localized
0 drwxr-xr-x 18 jomac5_admin wheel 612 3 Dec 22:12 Capture1
0 drwxr-xr-x@ 3 Jo staff 102 8 Dec 23:21 CanoScan LiDE 500F
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 2 root wheel 68 7 Feb 16:36 SC Info
0 drwxr-xr-x 6 Jo wheel 204 8 Feb 23:35 Crap
0 drwxrwxrwt 9 root wheel 306 8 Feb 23:53 .
16 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 jomac5_admin wheel 6148 8 Feb 23:53 .DS_Store
0 drwxr-xr-x 12 root admin 408 9 Feb 09:10 ..
52429104 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Jo wheel 26843701248 9 Feb 15:27 Nu_Windows.dmg
Jomac6:Shared Heather$
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ pwd ../
/Volumes/Nu_Windows/winxp
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ ls -lstar ../
total 2920
2880 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 1474560 20 Jan 2008 unattended.fdd
0 drwxrwxrwx 12 Heather Heather 408 2 Feb 2008 ASPACS Templates
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 476 3 Feb 2008 Assessment & Treatment Interventions
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 6 Heather Heather 204 4 Feb 2008 Burn Folder.fpbf
0 -rwxrwxrwx 1 Heather Heather 0 7 Dec 03:01 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 Heather Heather 15 7 Feb 19:30 .winxp.pvs.lock
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 544 7 Feb 22:47 .
32 -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 Heather Heather 12292 9 Feb 08:50 .DS_Store
0 drwxrwxrwx 6 Heather Heather 204 9 Feb 09:04 winxp
0 drwxrwxrwx 15 Heather Heather 510 9 Feb 09:10 .fseventsd
0 drwxrwxrwx@ 2 Heather Heather 68 9 Feb 15:27 .Trashes
0 drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin 136 9 Feb 15:27 ..
Jomac6:winxp Heather$ ls -lstar
total 23597168
16 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Heather Heather 6148 7 Feb 21:10 .DS_Store
0 drwxrwxrwx 14 Heather Heather 544 7 Feb 22:47 ..
0 drwxrwxrwx 129 Heather Heather 4386 8 Feb 18:40 Windows Applications
8 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 3388 9 Feb 09:03 winxp.pvs
23597144 -rw-rw-rw- 1 Heather Heather 12081736192 9 Feb 09:04 winxp.hdd
0 drwxrwxrwx 6 Heather Heather 204 9 Feb 09:04 .
Jomac6:winxp Heather$
This was working previous the main computers HDD failing yesterday, so I know that it can be done... Just can't figure out how.
Any thoughts would be appreciated