Sharing *XP* internet connection with OS X

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by J.E. Highley, Oct 19, 2007.

1. J.E. Highley

J.E. Highley Bit poster

I use a Sprint USB Cell Phone / Modem to access the internet through XP. It works great within' windows but I'd like to access the internet through OS X as well.

How do I share an incoming XP internet connection with OS X? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Heh... Heh heh... Heh.

Firstly, is it possible to set it up via OS X?

As to the actual set-up, here are a few guidelines.

You will have to set-up networking between OS X and Windows. I would recommend Shared for this, it will probably keep your head straight.

Now, share the internet connection over your ethernet adapter that shows up in Windows.

Go into your OS X system preferences and find out which of the two adapters is pointing at your Windows machine. It should be the 'Host-Guest' one, now set OS X to get internet from it.

Conceptually, this seems to be easy, but be prepped to spend some time.

Try and see where you can get, be prepared to have to re-install Parallels (you won't lose the data, just have to take some time to get it working again).

Let us know where you get hung-up and we can try and help you help yourself bridge the gaps.

3. J.E. Highley

J.E. Highley Bit poster

attempt #1

Eru,

As far as connecting up OS X directly through the phone and avoiding the XP shared connectivity option: One can do so using the phone's Bluetooth capabilities, but the modem feature is limited to 56k (groan!) Though, in *XP* (with the USB cable) the phone provides Net access at broadband-like speeds (Cheer!).

'Problem is, neither Apple or Motorola provide modem applescript "drivers" for Nextel iDen phones (in this case I'm trying to connect the ic902 model) -- So the OS X Network Configuration setup doesn't detect the device -- and I've already tried a few hacked drivers found online to no avail....

---

Ok. So, as far as sharing the XP connection back through to OS X, I *tried* to do what you recommended, but I have never done shared networking before on either PC or Mac and it's very likely that I screwed something up out of well intentioned but heinously defunct ignorance....

1. 'Made attempts at following your advice directly. I was able to find out where to change settings, etc. and ultimately set up XP to share a connection, but the Mac doesn't see it.

2. I found another site's post (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070412080405868) about this same issue and followed the writer's tutorial steps. No dice: XP is still sharing, but OS X is not accessing the connection.

So, somebody's got it to work, just not me yet.

I am very open to advice here, but I'm such a noob I don't even remotely understand how to troubleshoot in this arena... I don't even understand how to articulate intelligent questions here, I just know stuff ain't workin'.

(???)

Thanks again for any future thoughts!

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Alright, so connecting the phone directly to OS X is out of the question.

I've got an idea to make things more simple, you need to get ahold of another computer though.

1. Turn off Connection sharing in XP.

2. Set-up your Windows to use Bridged Networking, test to make sure it works.

3. Set-up Sharing over your ethernet port inside of Windows XP.

4. Connect your phone to the internet. Make sure the computer is getting the phone's internet.

5. Connect the ethernet cable to your computer and the other computer.

See if that gets the other computer to share your connection, if it does, the rest should be smooth sailing.