Should I turn off sleep while installing XP on Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by flinflon, Sep 26, 2006.

1. flinflon

flinflon Bit poster

I tried last night to install Windows XP Pro on my Imac. It started up nicely. It seemed to take a while to install, much longer than installing Windows on a Windows CPU or even via Boot Camp. I got tired of waiting and went to bed, hoping that when I'd wake up I could finish the process. When I woke up I went to the computer and noticed that the XP install had progressed. It got to the window asking me which language I wanted to use and needed me to click enter. I tried to click enter but the cursor in Parrallels was frozen. I was able to use my mouse in my mac OS just not in parallels. So I had to force quit and end my install. Therefore, my questions are:

1. Is it normal for loading Windows on Parallels to take longer than a traditional Windows install? Should I be worried about this?

2. Should I disable sleep when I'm doing the install? It seems like my sleep function froze the cursor in the Parallels.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. constant

constant Forum Maven

It depends how much memory you have allocated. If it is less than 1gb, then it will be slower. The more below 1gb the slower it will be. Don't worry

I would.