Simcity 4 crashing

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by ryan10ad, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ryan10ad

ryan10ad Bit poster

I have a 20 inch iMac C2D with 1Gb of Ram, I'm running Parallels 3 with Win Xp Home and 384mb ram with 16mb of vram. When I run Simcity 4 Deluxe edition, suddenly it always crashes. Is there any way I can stop it.

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

this game requires DirectX 9.0 and current Parallels version supports only 8.0.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. ryan10ad

ryan10ad Bit poster

So is there anything I can do at the moment, or do I have to wait for a new version of Parallels?

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I suppose yes, we expect DirectX 9.0 be supported in future versions.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. lesliehuber

lesliehuber Bit poster

directx and parallels

my version of windows xp currently has directx9.0 installed... is it just installed but not functioning in parallels?

i am trying to run Sim City 4 as well, i havent even gotten the game to start because even though i do have the game cd in the drive, it still prompts me to insert it.

also, the manual says Sim City 4 only needs directx8.1 to run..

so first, could you tell me how to get around the CD issue and then we can get to directx?

thanks

6. lesliehuber

lesliehuber Bit poster

also, will running xp through bootcamp instead solve this problem?

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

lesliehuber, have you tried to test the CD on other drive? It can be the CD itself-related problem and it would be better to check it.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. lesliehuber

lesliehuber Bit poster

I really don't think that will solve anything. I have had this problem with other programs that were able to install from the cd, but when the game itself that is installed needs to access the cd to play, it doesnt find it. I think this is a problem with it recognizing the drive in parallels.

9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

I suppose, it is some sort of disc protection issue which makes it inaccessible for Parallels virtualization technology to work with. I believe it is better to contact game makers support for that question as it would be illegal to just break the protection rather than learn from them what to do. I'm awfully sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
    Alicia.

10. bootuser

bootuser Bit poster

Simcity has some bugs that crash even on normal PC's. A known problem is that i can crash on multi-core machines. Maybe setting the number of cores in your virtual machine to 1 helps.