Single Signon

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by abpsupport, Feb 18, 2008.

1. abpsupport

abpsupport Junior Member

Can someone explain how this function is supposed to work please.
    Have installed the client but when starting the 2x client with SSO enabled in the options i still get prompted for username and password when starting 2x or when running an application.

Thanks
    Mike

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there, is the check box enabled and checked??
    Or is it disabled and checked??

Just for the sake of clearing things, you need to reboot once for the sso Check box to be enabled.

Nixu

3. Vinny

Vinny Guest

Here is what I have found from my personal experience and testing......

When you install the client, it creates a registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2X\AppServerClient where the DWORD "SSO" is set to 1. If SSO is set to 1, then the Single Signon should be checked when you launch the client. When the user launches the client for the first time, it creates the same key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and has a corresonding entry in HKEY_USERS. When the user launches the 2X client, it gives an error that the password is incorrect. If you check the registry entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, SSO is set to 0. If you Exit 2X and change this entry to 1, it will be checked and Single Signon works.

I tried using ORCA to edit the MSI and set the SSO registry entry to 1, however, when it creates the HKEY_CURRENT_USER entry upon launching the client, the SSO entry defaults to 0 which means it is unchecked. This makes it a bit more difficult to release to the masses and have it be more transparent when you have to have the user click the Single Signon box on the first signon. This is required for each pc the user signs onto for the first time.

I submitted a request along with details of my tests and received the following reply back from support......

"This was implemented, I am sure by design with MS Security in mind. The best method may be to write a login script that modifies the registry entry."

A login script and/or batch file in Startup is not the best solution for this problem. If it was "by design" due to MS Security, then why would they allow Single Signon? I have determined that the problem is with the launching of the client, because if you change the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" entry for SSO to be 1 after you receive the password error, when you launch the client, it is checked and Single Signon works....if you exit 2X and change it back to 0, you receive the password error (if you have save password unchecked) and Single Signon is NOT checked. This tells me that the HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings are created during the launching of the 2X client and not copied completely from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (I also changed the server and backup server info in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and it did not reflect the change in the newly created HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

I sure hope they can address this and allow the Single Signon to be checked upon install so there isn't any user intervention requried.

4. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi Vinny...

After installing the 2X Client and rebooting is "Use System Credentials (SSO)" grayed out, ie. Disabled??

Nixu

5. Vinny

Vinny Guest

No...it is not grayed out, it is simply not checked by default even after setting the MSI to check it.

6. gdecker

gdecker Guest

Same problem

This is the exact problem which I am having. See the topic "Windows Client Installation Question" which I created on 4/17/08. Was there ever a resolution to this? I agree, the user should not have to select 'Single Sign-on Option' when first accessing the Terminal Server. 2X is touted as being 'transparent' to the user, but this feature reduces the transparency to 'opaque' :roll: - Gary

7. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

This should be fixed in the latest client.

Nixu

8. dejannagl

dejannagl Bit poster

Hello NIXU,

Regarding the question you proposed to Vinny (see below):
    by Vinny ยป Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:12 am
    nixu wrote:
    Hi Vinny...
    After installing the 2X Client and rebooting is "Use System Credentials (SSO)" grayed out, ie. Disabled??
    Nixu

Well to answer your question NIXU, this is exactly what's going arry with our users, regardless if they're working in the office or remotely. Now we're well aware of this problem with the USE SYSTEM CREDENTIALS checkbox being ticked ON. So for that matter we never had this setting ticked ON. Why well because our company underwrites/audits for a bank on the east coast. The 2X Clients user name and password settings are what this banks IT Dept provides to us to access the financial application Harlands E3 and should never change or you'll have issues.

However the issue was still looming over us because as our users password for their machine (desktop or laptop) requires it be changed every 90 days, what ends up happening is when the user makes the change which is just to be able to login to their desktop or laptop automatically updates and changes the user name & password of the 2X Client, which again is not a good thing. This is strange because for each user when the 2X Client is installed for the first time, to avoid this flawed feature we specifically choose NO when the installer asks if you wish to install the component known as SSO. Again we say NO but for whatever reason it still installs and gives us the Use System Credentials (SSO) grayed out but ticked ON and no one seems to know how to un-gray the setting so that we can uncheck this ever so lovely box.

As for the SSO feature, yes I understand that it's a wonderful feature to have if you're an employee of the company. However if you're not an employee of this company but you have a business to business relationship that requires you to access their banks internal system applications, in order to underwrite a loan using again their programs then I'm sure you can understand that the SSO feature is not so beneficial. Please get back to me on this both my company's IT Dept & the banks IT Dept are struggling with it and so are the users.

Thank You,
    Dejan Nagl

9. jayrayspicer

jayrayspicer Bit poster

I'm running into this also--"Use system credentials (SSO)" is checked/enabled but grayed out. How do we uncheck this for users logging on from a home machine?