Slow shutdown with Windows 10 - even with SSD

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RobertWise, Aug 2, 2015.

1. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Although I like many other posters have had difficulties upgrading to Windows 10 I did eventually get around the problem by uninstalling Parallels Tools and not using the Windows update route either.

Having now got everything running okay I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the very slow shut down of W10? I use an internal SSD in the Mac which as you might imagine has speeded up Parallels no end. With 8.1 both startup and shutdown were very quick. However, whilst startup is still reasonably speedy, shutdown takes ages. The spinning circle goes on and on and on, usually for well over a minute before the machine finally closes.

I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

P.S. Closing OneDrive has made the shutdown slightly quicker.

2. trebuin

trebuin Member

This may be a windows 10 issue. We should see some reviews soon and you already pointed out one culprit. I think it may be doing a last minute sync check.

3. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

It could have something to do with Microsloths new harebrained scheme for doing their
    updates.

If you do not have Win10 Pro, you are forced into automatic updates and have no idea when its checking,
    when it's going to download, or when it is going to install.

Even in Pro, the only "choice" you are really given is when to "reboot to install".

I for one, wish they would return the option to simply notify when updates are available and leave it up to
    the user when to download and when to install! I want to download/install when I think it is convenient,
    not when Microsloth thinks it is.

As for me, Win10 Pro is shutting down really quick, however, I am only just starting
    to install apps.

4. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I too think the new update regime is somewhat bizarre. I preferred the 'updates are ready to install' message in previous Windows iterations. At least that way one had some idea what was happening. There now appears to be nothing and this lack of information is not a good thing.