Slow under Catalina - Windows 10 how long does fsck take?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristophK2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

I have all sorts of slownesses since I've upgraded to Catalina (macOS 10.15.1). My windows 10 guest is already file system checking the whole afternoon.
    The only Action I can do at the moment is Start. I cannot uncheck it.
    Will leave the file system check run overnight and see what tomorrow brings.

--
    Christoph

2. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

(Parallels 15): Data point: next morning the fsck was done. Still took a lot of waiting until the system was alive. Cursor got frozen. But Parallels tools weren't installed at that time. Now, that they are installed, it seems to run a bit smoother.

3. Hi, you can try to reset your VM and check the issue if something still goes wrong.

4. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

I'm again at the situation that the Windows 10 VM is performing a file system check and it is running sinces yeyterday night and doesn't seem to end. CPU usgae of prl_vm_app is around 40% all the time. I cannot work on macOS since every little action invoke a busy cursor (rainbow ball).

Now I finished Parallels but prl_vm_app still is consuming 36% CPU.

5. Did you reset your VM.
    Also please collect the tech report after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

6. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

I reinstalled Parallels to overcome the slowness in starting up Parallels itself.
    At the moment I'm at the point that starting the Windows 10 VM from control panel does take forever.

I could not get into the second screen where I had the menu bar. After clicking on the Settings tooth wheel I could change over to the second screen where I saw that Windows was doing an fsck again. But how long would that take again?
    I cannot get to a point where to reset windows The action menu is all greyed out despite of the first entry "Start" which is checked.

So I'm presently bound to wait and wait until the fsck finally will end.
    Is there a way to fsck the disk volume separately by accessing it outside the macOS, e.g. copy the disk image to an external disk and to the check there?

7. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

How does one edit a post here in this forum?

BTW, when the macOS goes to switch to the idle screen (screen saver or what you name it), does Parallels work in the background and can I be sure that the file system check is continuing to be executed or does Parallels go to sleep or slow down?

8. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Depends on your energy saver settings.
    In the Mac, if you have the tick box 'Prevent computer from sleeping when the display is off', then Parallels can continue.
    Also though you need to ensure the Windows power saver options are off, otherwise it may itself be going to sleep.
    By default I have the Windows set to never sleep, and have the Mac controlling sleep. Then if I want to do something like an fsck or a backup will make the tick box in the Mac so the processor remains running.

9. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

Thanks. This morning the fsck had finished and the Windows wallpaper screen was up, but I could not login. No login prompt.

Then I wanted to switch off Windows.CMD-Q. (BTW, what is the difference between (|) switch off in the actions menu and CMD-Q?).
    I decides to CMD-Q Windows 10. After a while of color ball appearing a prompt appeared, saying

upload_2019-11-28_8-48-8.png

(Windows 10 cannot be paused, error while interupting the VM, look at this solution...)

10. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

Trying to RESET the VM results again in never ending idler wheel.
    upload_2019-11-28_9-18-14.png