Small issue with hide menu icons

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox Feature Suggestions' started by Fabio17, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

I don't know if it is a missing feature or the developers didn't think of it but for the tool "hide menu icons", I have some apps there, like for example a translator app, when you click it, it opens just a popup from the menu bar (no common window) where you can access some functionality for example translate text (like on the fly). When the option is enabled to automatically show and hide the hidden icons and you click on a app which opens the dialog and you go with the cursor onto the dialog then the dialog closes because the menu bar icon of the app is hidden again because you left the menu bar with the cursor.

It would be very convenient to not have this behavior but instead in the case you click on a previously hidden icon and a popup appears the whole thing stays open until eg. you do a click elsewhere on the screen which is not on the popup or let the parallels tool automatically recognize that a menu item app opened it's popup and wait for it to close.
    Some apps like this translator I can't use with your tool. And this popup feature is very frequent nowadays like "NTFS for Mac" has it, VPN tools or your own parallels toolbox is just a menu bar popup.

2. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

I know that I can "fix" this behavior by disabling the "automatically show/hide while cursor enters hidden icons" option but I do not want to make two extra clicks each time I want to access such apps.

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

thank you for reporting this issue. We know about it but don't have solid solution yet. One of option is to not hiding icons again for 10-15 seconds, e.g. In most cases this time will be enough to make action with popup windows. What do you think about such solution? Would it work for you?

4. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I can image a solid solution is complicated for this problem. Yeah, that would be a good quick fix until a better solution is found. But maybe longer, like 30 seconds, or give an option field for this.
    Couldn't you like access some macOS API calls to intercept and determine if a menu item app has opened a popup, that would be nice too..