Smart Card not being detected

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Arnoldo, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Arnoldo

Arnoldo Bit poster

Hello, I work for a bank, which provides me with a USB dongle to perform 2FA and a VPN connection which reroutes all traffic through their servers. For this reason, if I want to still use my MacBook while logged into the bank, a VM is the only option. Sadly, the USB dongle is not correctly recognised by Windows within Parallels.

The configurations I tried:
    • 2016 MacBook Pro with Intel Processor + Windows 10
    • 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro Processor + Windows 11 ARM
    Other details:
    • The USB dongle is called SafeNet eToken 5110
    • The software that detects the smart card certificate is called SafeNet Authentication Client
    • When I run "certutil -scinfo" from cmd, it detects the reader, but tells me to "insert smart card"
    • There are two devices without drivers within Windows: "TUSB3410 EECode Ser" and "Unknown Device"
    • The smart card gets detected in VMware Fusion and in VirtualBox, but Windows just runs too slow on these VMs
    • I tried the checkbox that enables the smart card that is configured on Mac and it gets detected, but still the certificate is not being used for 2FA

TicianaL likes this.
  2. MarcelT4

MarcelT4 Bit poster

Did you found any solution? Same problem for me, although using a different token.

3. TicianaL

TicianaL Bit poster

Same issue here, different token

4. MarcelT4

MarcelT4 Bit poster

Hey. I've manage an alternate solution. Basically, bought a certificate of the A1 Type (the one that doesn't require a token and is installed directly on the machine). It worked then.

5. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @MarcelT4, We are glad that you found the solution. Thanks for sharing your experience in order to resolve the issue.

6. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @Arnoldo, Have you tried the above solution which is shared by the @MarcelT4?

7. ScottS52

ScottS52 Bit poster

Has anyone found a way to make the SafeNet token work with Windows 11 ARM? I don't think the provider of this token is going to offer an alternate way to connect.

8. StefanL6

StefanL6 Bit poster

I've a similar problem but using Windows x64. I noticed that the "Smart cards" category in Windows Device manager dissapear when Parallel Tools is installed. And it reappear if Parallel Tools is uninstalled. (Running version 18.3.2.)
    But that's a workaround and not a solution.

9. YavorS

YavorS

Hello everyone,

I have the very same problem - the smart card is detected, however, when trying to use the certificate from the USB it is not detected.

Is there is any solution to this? As far as I understand from various sources, Parallels should support such interaction?

10. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!