Snapshot deletion painfully slow

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by milleron, Jul 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for your feedback. If you wish to check and make sure there are no issues with snapshot deletion, you can create a new snapshot and delete it.

2. RichardXL

RichardXL Bit poster

i meet the same problem today, it's on deleting for 8 hours now, i don't know how long it will take

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @RichardXL, please go to Help menu and select "Send Technical Data..." option to generate and send a tech data report to us. Please post the report ID in reply. Thank you in advance!

4. JoelA6

JoelA6 Bit poster

I am having the same problem -- very, very slow Snapshot deletion (trying to reduce VM Size). Report 349405911

5. RichardG17

RichardG17 Member

I'm having the same problem. When I sat down to use the Mac this AM, snapshot deletion was running and was 52% completed. An hour later it was still 52% completed. Having no idea what was going on, and figuring the VM was hung, I shut down the VM, rebooted the Mac and restarted the VM. The deletion started from scratch on restart. It's been running for over 12 hours now and it's only 42% completed. I'm going to let it run all night to see how far it gets, but I can't go another full day without access to my Windows system.

If it looks like it won't complete by the end of the day, I believe my only recourse will be to shut it down and reload the pvm from the Time Machine backup taken two days ago, then merge and delete the snapshots with the Terminal command. Can I do that immediately after loading the backup or must I run the VM to shut down SmartGuard first? I'm concerned if I do that the deletion could start again.

If I'm successful, I will never use SmartGuard again. From what I've read here, it's too dangerous because merge/deletion can't be stopped. I understand that once it begins, there's no way to unmerge or reset to the previous state, but that means if something causes it to run very slow, which appears to have happened to some users from time on time over the past three years, and your developers have been unable to determine the cause, the user is screwed and loses access to the VM for what could be an unacceptable length of time.

6. wickwood

wickwood Bit poster

I have been waiting over an hour and half now for automatic deletion of snapshot that occurred as soon as I started the Windows 10 VM. I can't afford to wait any longer, I need access to my machine. It's insane to hijack a system like this for hours like have been reported here.

I too will disable this stupid SmartGuard once I have figured out how kill this process and recover.

Have just posted a Parallels Tech Report ID 363548746.

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi, I've opened a ticket for you directly in the Second Line of the Parallels Support Team. The ticket number is 2925369

8. JimW9

JimW9 Bit poster

Any updates?
    I've been watching this. SmartGuard snapshot management is pretty painful, both the long times and the inability to cancel.
    If there are solutions that solve the speed problem (potential w/ KevinB7's reponse), then this needs to be productized, ie. if a user has settings or configs that slow things down, at a BARE MINIMUM this should be in information that is clearly discussed (and linked to KB article if needed for additional details) when the user presses "?" on the bottom left of the Manage Snapshots

9. XavierB0

XavierB0 Bit poster

Hi! Same old problem here! The "deleting snapshots" phase takes a looong time (almost 1h) while the "creating snapshot" is done in a few seconds.
    I've sent the technical report #38942772.
    Thanks!
    Xavier

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi Xavier,
    Sorry for the delayed response.
    I've sent your report to our developers for further investigation. Did I get you right that the issue is no longer relevant and the process is finished successfully?

11. XavierB0

XavierB0 Bit poster

Hi Mikhail. The issue is relevant as far as there are many tickets that complain about this problem. It makes me skip snapshots when I think that I'll have to wait 1h before using my VM, which is not good in terms of having VM backups and in terms of Parallel's reliability.

12. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you for the prompt response.
    We suspect the issue might be related to APFS fragmentation. A fix for the issue might be the following:
    1. Shut down your virtual machine (VM): Actions > Shut down.
    2. Locate .pvm file of your VM: https://kb.parallels.com/117333 > right-click and select 'Show package contents' > locate the virtual hard drive of your virtual machine (it has an .hdd extension).
    3. Move the .hdd file to an external drive.
    4. Once the file is moved, move it back to the .pvm file.
    Check if the issue remains. If it does, kindly collect a fresh report at the moment of reproduction and send it back to us.

13. guyg3

guyg3 Bit poster

Same issue here, waiting over 20 hours, please help.

Report ID 398351180

Thanks.

14. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Hi,
    Thank you for the report provided.
    As we can see from the technical report, you are using Parallels Desktop 11.
    Unfortunately, we do not support Parallels Desktop 11 at present time.
    Please check our article about the lifecycle for Parallels Desktop for Mac: https://kb.parallels.com/en/123560
    Have a nice week!