Snapshot Manager has Multi-Monitor system problem

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mjs, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mjs

mjs Member

Hi,

I had the problem that I use Parallels and the snapshot manager on a second monitor (fullscreen). I closed Parallels, disconnected the second monitor and started Parallels again. Parallels shows up on the first monitor but when I try to open the snapshot manager I'm unable to see the snapshot manager window. My assumption is that the snapshot manager opens on the old position but doesn't care that it's completely out of sight.

Regards,
    Mark

2. mike montagne

mike montagne Member

Your assumption is absolutely right.

Most visual software applications leave it to the operating system to manage window location. The operating system however allows windows and/or window parts to be drawn off screen. Thus a conflict in logic would exist if we expected the operating system to rectify window position, unless the logic were so smart to rectify position if the entire window (and/or parts which might be accessed to control position) were drawn off screen.

Of course, it is hardly to ask too much that the operating system be made the little more comprehensive it needs to be to do so.

You find however that neither do but a few software development houses take it upon themselves to ensure that an application is drawn (at least at startup even) on screen. It's extremely easy to do so, but that's just how mediocre much engineering is.

Personally, I've written all my stuff that way since the first days of GUIs. Why? A person can just change screen resolution, and they might never be able to retrieve their application, if it starts "normally" (in its former position, which may be off screen).

All people have to do is detect the window's left edge is beyond the right bounds of the screen and so forth to rectify the problem. When startup algorithms find the window and/or its title bar are off screen, they simply move it to a desired position on the existing/re-configured screen.

To get your window back, restore the former configuration; move the window to a position within the future configuration... and you'll restore access to it under the future configuration.

The idea is simply to put and dimension the window where it needs to be within the bounds of the subsequent surface.