Snow Leopard -- upgrade from 3 to 4 problem

chrisschmidt

Bit poster
I just installed Snow Leopard and was told that I had to upgrade to Parallels 4.0 after trying to run 3.0.

I'd been meaning to do so anyway, so I went ahead and bought the upgrade.dmg. When I try to run it however it tells me to shut down the currently suspended Vista image which had been running under 3.0. BUT of course I can't start 3.0!

I tried deleting the .lck file but that didn't seem to help. I'm totally stuck!

Any suggestions?
 
I renamed ~/Documents/Parallels/ to ~/Documents/Parallels-3/ and it let the install continue.

Haven't tried to start up those VMs yet, though
 
How did it go?

Just wondering if you were able to make this work like you did or if you had problems. I am having the same trouble, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. Thanks a lot.
 
Your Suggestion Worked!

I renamed the Parallels folder as you suggested, and the installation worked just fine. Why the cretins at Parallels didn't bother to build this step into their installer, or least tell its customers that this is a necessary prerequisite to the installation, is beyond me. (By the way, after the installation, I had no problem importing my existing "virtual machine," Windows Xp.
 
I too was able to start and use all three VMs (two winxp, one ubuntu) after the upgrade completed. The VM upgrades took many minutes on the two XP machines (both of which had been suspended, not shut down), but only a second or two on the Ubuntu machine (which had been shut down). But, after that, they seemed to work fine.
 
Except this folder is removed when installation starts...then it still asks to quit the nonexistent virtual machine. Lousy installer. Just terrible.
 
So if folder is gone what next

I can't find the folder /documents/parallels it's not anywhere. So how do I install 4.0 now
 
Same Problem: Suspended VM, folder gone, what to do?

I filled out a support 'ticket' asking what to do when the folder to rename isn't there anymore! We'll see if they respond.
 
Back
Top