Solaris 10 Xorg error "not found"

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by sapsteve, May 28, 2006.

1. sapsteve

sapsteve Bit poster

Hi All,

I need some help with Xorg configuration. I followed the instructions from the this thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread1782.html

But when I am trying to configure the Xorg I am getting the error. I am in the directory /usr/X11/bin and I see all the xorg files ' Xorg, xorgcfg, xorgconfig'. but when I am trying to setup the initial xorg.conf with either of the commands Xorg configure or xorgcfg or xorgconfig I am getting the following error

(I am in the directory /usr/X11/bin

#Xorg Configure
    Xorg : not found

#xorgconfig
    Xorgconfig : not found.

Am I missing some thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Srini

2. mites

mites Bit poster

The reason it is not finding the files is that /usr/X11/bin is not in your PATH, and neither is '.' (and that is a good thing).

Try running the commands with a preceeding ./ before the name..

i.e.

./Xorg -Configure

./xorgconfig

the ./ preceeding the command tells the shell to look in the current directory for the command.

another way would be to add /usr/X11/bin into your PATH environment variable.

depending on shell type, this can be done with:

for csh, tcsh
    setenv PATH $PATH:/usr/X11/bin

for sh, ksh, zsh, bash
    export PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11/bin"

3. slhrdi

slhrdi Bit poster

Solaris X configuration problem

Folks-

I have a 17" IMAC I can install Solaris 10, but when it comes up, it comes up in with 1/4 of the screen having "CDE display" I can login, but cannot get to the bottom menu bar to invoke a console. If I start up in failsafe mode, Xconfig doesn't exist.

I cannot get to the bottom toolbar to invoke a terminal because only 1/4 of the screen is showing...
    is there a way in failsafe mode to shutdown the xserver? so that CDE doesn't come up, but rather
    console mode? I could then run xorgconfig and set it back....

I have googled for "Disable CDE" Disable X on Solaris and a number of other terms.
    Any Solaris clues?

Thanks

Stephen