Solaris can't see my mouse

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by kcantrel, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kcantrel

kcantrel Bit poster

I am trying to install Solaris 10 10/06 with Parallels 2.1 but for some reason Solaris doesn't see the mouse. It does see the keyboard just fine.

Does anyone know if you purchase a license when version 2.1 was released, is it legal to upgrade to 2.2? I clicked on the "Check of Updates" from within the Parallels window, but it reports I have the latest version.

Thanks,

Keith

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Did you install the Solaris drivers that come with Parallels? You can update your version to 2.5, build 3214 which is the newest release of version 2.5.

3. kcantrel

kcantrel Bit poster

Where do you get the drivers? The only ones I found were on the vmtools.iso file and that seemed to only have a network based driver, that, is going to require that I boot up native Solaris so I can get a compiler so I can compile it, put the resulting complied driver onto an ISO image and then reboot Windows/Parallels, mount of the ISO file and install (i.e. why didn't they provide a compiled version?)

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That was not necessary when I installed Solaris - the iso provided by Parallels had everything needed to support Solaris. It was a while back so I couldn't recall if the iso also contained mouse support. It may be more expedient to download the Parallels appliance that Sun put together than installing from scratch. You can get it here:

http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=461d6b7d

5. kcantrel

kcantrel Bit poster

So, now I am confused. First you asked me if I downloaded the latest drivers, now you are saying that you didn't have to. Based on the documentation, networking on Solaris will not work without the supplied network driver. Which I think I have come up with a way to get it onto my machine so I'm not as concerned about that as I am getting the mouse to work.

I would consider installing the version of Solaris that is provided by Sun, but I have no idea which build it is. I am needing to install a version that supports Trusted Extentions.

So, again, where is this version 2.5 that you spoke about? And, is that a new release of Parallels, or just the vmtools.iso that contains drivers?

6. kcantrel

kcantrel Bit poster

Okay, you are correct. Everything I needed to get the network to work was included (i.e. I didn't have to compile anything). However, my mouse still doesn't work. XOrg comes up, but without a mouse a windowing system is pretty worthless. Anybody have any ideas on what could be causing the most to not be seen?

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Actually I asked if you installed them, not if you downloaded them. I've installed Solaris recently in both Parallels and Fusion and Fusion, not Parallels, has advanced mouse support, hence my recollection failure. The Solaris support in Fusion is actually much better in Fusion, as it happens. Parallels presents a rather common mouse to Solaris so I'm surprised it doesn't work. I presume you've tried the kdmconfig utility?

Anyway, all updates to Parallels are found by visiting the Parallels Help menu and selecting the Update option.

And the Sun provided distribution does not have the trusted extensions so that won't work for you which is a shame because it installs beautifully.

8. kcantrel

kcantrel Bit poster

Okay, stupid question, what are you using as your XServer? (Xorg or Xsun?) What did you set you video display, monitor, keyboard, and mouse to? (i.e. what was your final kdmconfig config?)