Solaris - How do I get files in there?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by cloudyapple, Jul 1, 2007.

1. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

Now that I have successfully installed Solaris, how do I transfer files from OSX to S10 when Shared Folders are not available?

I tried Parallel Explorer. It opened my XP VHDD fine but it couldn't open the S10 VHDD.

Any clues?

Jesse

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

FTP, scp, sftp, email attachments, wget, http, NFS, sshfs with MacFUSE.

3. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

Sorry there I'm a newbie.

I managed to get on the internet from within Solaris following some online help setting up the networking.

What I don't know is what IP address to connect to to ftp stuff across the OS'es.

I tried ifconfig -a. In Solaris it comes up with
    lo0:inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    and
    ni0:inet 192.168.0.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

I tried all of them with cyberduck and no luck.

The other way round doing ifconfig in the OSX Terminal yields a whole bunch of stuff. None of which can be connected to from Solaris.

Now I am stuck.

I'd be grateful if you can provide a little more details on what I should be doing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Start Solaris and log in. Open a terminal session.

In OS X open a terminal session. In the OS X terminal, ping the IP you provided:
    ping 192.168.0.2

If it returns "Alive" you're in good shape.

If that works we can continue - if not there may be a plan B.

5. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

Yes it returned alive.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That being the case then any of the Solaris services that are enabled should be accessible. Test ssh by opening a terminal window in OS X and type:

ssh 192.168.0.2

If ssh is running on the Solaris system a connection should be established at this point. You an also try:

ftp 192.168.0.2

and telnet 192.168.0.2

If nothing happens then these services are probably disabled and you'll need to start them with svcadm. More later if that is needed.

If you have given your Solaris system a host name then you can add that to the /etc/hosts file on your Mac. You will need to use vi or pico. By doing this you don't need to use the IP to connect with your Solaris system.

7. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

I ssh'ed and it returned saying the authenticity of host 192.168.0.2 cannot be established. RSA key fingerprint (bunch of hexadecimals) Are you sure you want to connect?

I typed yes

Then a warning about adding the ip to a list of known hosts permanently.

Then it asked for a password without saying which password it required. I typed in my administrator password (which is the same as the root password for Solaris) but it failed.

Tried a few times still no luck. Caps lock is off :)p)

8. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

It says permission denied (gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive)

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The good news is your tcpip connection is solid. Try using ssh again except provide your login name at the same time:

ssh admin_name@ 192.168.0.2

Where admin_name is your Solaris admin name, case sensitive. The warnings you saw are perfectly normal for a first connection.

10. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

Thanks for that.

First i tried ssh root@192.168.0.2 - no luck

Then ssh taam@192.168.0.2 - where taam is an account i created on solaris
    This works but takes a long time to connect and sometimes fails.

So I tried ftp taam@192.168.0.2 - Connection refused

I checked /etc/ftpd/ftpusers and taam isnt one that is banned.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Root is normally disallowed for ssh login in Solaris. This is configured in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file (man sshd_config). Also, root is normally not allowed telnet access. This is managed in /etc/default/login. Look for Console=... Root is also prevented from having ftp access and this is controlled in the /etc/ftpusers file. In other words, root is a really crappy account for trying remote access because it is a security issue. If you have created an account for yourself then use that, and use su or sudo (requires you edit the sudoers file) to gain root privileges.

Edit: Forgot to add - unless you add the host and guest IP's and host names to the /etc/hosts file of each system then response time can be slow.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  12. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

I already edited the ftpusers file to # root out.

Still no luck ftp'ing with either root or my other account.

I think there is network connection but something has denied access.

#> ftp taam@192.168.0.2
    ftp: connect: Connection refused
    ftp>

I know the ftpusers file disallows accounts from having ftp access but I am not aware I need to edit any files to enable ftp. Anything else I need to set to enable ftp for particular accounts?

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That is a connection error, not an authentication error. Make sure ftp is running by executing svcs. Here's an example:

$ svcs ftp
    STATE STIME FMRI
    online Apr_29 svc:/network/ftp:default

If it is not online it must be started (as root) with svcadm. Here's how that's done:

$ svcadm enable ftp

You can also directly test the ftp daemon when logged into the Solaris vm. In a Solaris terminal execute this:

$ ftp 0
    Connected to 0.0.0.0.
    220 dyna FTP server ready.
    Name (0:root):

Here we have used ftp to connect to address 0 (you can also use localhost) which is usually your active network interface, and since I was logged in as root it is waiting for me to hit enter or enter a different user name.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  14. cloudyapple

cloudyapple Bit poster

That's it! FTP was disabled by default! Now it is working just fine :) Thank you very much!

Next is installing MySQL and then the simulation software I need to run! Wish me luck!

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Malama pono!