Specifying a 16x9 resolution in Windows 11 on a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Zardozer, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Zardozer

Zardozer Bit poster

I'm using Windows 11 arm on an m1 max MacBook Pro on the latest Parallels 18, and most everything seems to be running fine. However, I can't seem to force a 16x9 resolution. I can only seem to select many variations of 16x10 resolutions (which is the aspect ratio of the macbook's screen). The only workaround I've found is to go into windowed mode and manually resize the window. It will change it to pretty much any resolution, but you have to keep resizing it to get to the exact one you want.

Is there a way to actually get something like 16x9, standard old 1920x1080? In either fullscreen or windowed mode? Seem like basic functionality, maybe I'm missing something.

2. GregorG2

GregorG2 Bit poster

Did you try to switch between any of the other options in settings of VM? Under configuration and Hardware tab there is Graphics option, where you can choose between 3 different resolution settings:
    - Best for Retina display (default)
    - Scaled
    - Best for external displays

upload_2022-9-23_20-53-36.png

AntonioE4 likes this.
  3. Zardozer

Zardozer Bit poster

I know it's been a while, but thank you! I eventually got it to work by using the third option, "Best for external displays". I didn't think it worked at first because all it says is that it needed to log out and in for it to work, but in fact I needed to reboot Windows. After a reboot, it finally gives me 16x9 resolutions to choose when I'm connected to a 4k display, and then disconnecting the display, the 16x9 options remain.

4. Delegator

Delegator Bit poster

Same problem as the original poster here, except that I don't get any options to change in that window. The monitor resolution in MacOS is set to 1920x1080. I can go to 1920x1200, and higher, in Windows, but the actual 16:9 resolution is not available. Is this a "Pro" feature? Or is it something no longer present in Parallel 19? Or something else?

Attached Files:

5. Delegator

Delegator Bit poster

Welp, after rebooting Windows the option for 1920x1080 magically appeared. No other changes.