speech-recognition to guest machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by esj, Apr 18, 2006.

1. esj

esj Bit poster

my goal is to be able to use speech recognition running on the Windows side and dictating into the Linux side. In an attempt to make things simple, I decided to run Windows as host OS. The rationale was that if I run speech recognition on Windows, that the input queue for keystrokes, etc. would be directed into the virtual machine.

installed on a compact 1700T laptop Pentium III/1 gigahertz machine with a gigabyte of RAM.

I went through the installation process and used ubuntu as the guest OS. By the way, the installation was significantly slower in the virtual machine than it was native.

Installation went fine. I did choose a resolution for the display that is the same as the laptop which probably was a mistake. Because when the guest OS in a window display comes up, bigger than my laptop screen. I'll probably reinstall with a lower resolution to fix that problem.

One big problem is that networking doesn't work. the guest OS ethernet interface does not start up. the laptop is connected by wireless using a moderately old Belkin 802.11G card. I suspect the problem is that it doesn't go into promiscuous mode the right way. It does work with a network sniffer however.

the biggest problem however is that I cannot dictate using NaturallySpeaking into the guest OS. If I use the windowed view of the guest OS, I can perform some command sequences (i.e. mouse clicks) but dictation doesn't seem to work at all. It appears that there is insufficient information from the window to allow NaturallySpeaking to have focus control. The symptom is that the partial recognition window sits in the lower right hand corner of the screen showing that it's not recognizing anything versus the normal "I have focus" recognition window in the upper left-hand corner of the application window displaying recognition results.

if I shift to full screen view, I start getting recognition results in the recognition window but the keystrokes don't go to the guest OS. They seemed to vanish into nowhere.

Suggestions for fixing these problems would be most welcome.

---eric