Speed and recording issues (Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Lidoffad, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Lidoffad

Lidoffad Bit poster

Just bought my mac yesterday... I've been working all day on trying to download new Windows based programs, thinking that maybe one of them will work. I have used Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition for over a year now and I really don't want to switch. Here is what's going on:

I insert an instrumental into the program, and it plays while I record my vocals. When I playback my recording, it is delayed. I sing on beat, but yet, when I playback, it sounds like I was singing slower than the instrumental.

After attempting to record using 2+ programs today, I am convinced this is a glitch with Parallels.

Any advice would be appreciated. I do realize Boot Camp is still an option, but I was hoping to not have to use that.

My other issue is that both OSs are EXTREMELY slow. I have 1GB RAM and have allotted half to both systems, but it's very sluggish....

Hope someone can help me!

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

It's hard to tell if that is the notorious bug that has hit some users or just some bad settings. One thing about parallels is that when it comes to RAM, less is more. Also you can set in options the priority of the performance of the OS.... either XP or OSX to be "first". Try going to 768 ram and setting Parallels to be the priority OS. If that does not help... you may have a buggy install of tools or drivers. You can then try to reinstall but most who have been unlucky enough to have these odd problems are not fixed by any kind of heroic reinstalls.

Best wishes.

3. Lidoffad

Lidoffad Bit poster

Thanks, Rachel...

So if I reinstall and change the settings like you said, and it's still slow and records on a delay... am I pretty much out-of-luck? Or will a different copy of Parallels do the trick? (I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to things like this.)

Thanks again!

4. CourtneyS

CourtneyS Bit poster

Other issues...

I have a different issue. Let's say there's music online, or a video or something, that I want to record the sound from in Cool Edit Pro. Under Windows, I would just select Wave or Stereo Mix or whatever as the recording track and start recording it in CEP. Using CEP with Parallels basically only records the iSight mic (and with some lag, too). Is there any way to restore this ability to record?

5. CourtneyS

CourtneyS Bit poster

any ideas on how to fix Cool Edit Pro under XP in Parallels as described above?

6. dtpk

dtpk Bit poster

No Sound Input In Cool Edit Pro

I'm with CourtneyS. Any help with this?

Can't get any audio input in Cool Edit Pro.

7. Forekast

Forekast Bit poster

Recording in Adobe Audition through Parallels

Ok, so I have a similar problem. I have an IMAC with Parallels to use Audition through Windows 7. I used to have PC and did all my recording through a Soundblaster sound card. I've been trying to figure out how to record in a similar fashion, except in the Sound Mixer for Windows I don't see the "Record What You Hear" option.

I also DJ, and use Serato to play my records through the IMAC. So I have a record player, running through a Gemini mixer into Serato onto the Desktop. I'd like to be able to play my records through the Line In on the back of the IMAC, and record what I'm hearing, in Adobe Audition. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

The sound mixer on the IMAC, is receiving the signal of the music playing, but there is no sound. When I have it running through Serato Scratch Live on Windows (through Parallels) I can't find a signal through the Line In/ Mic option.

Any help here would be appreciated.