SpinRite Installation

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by tin omen, May 8, 2014.

1. tin omen

tin omen Junior Member

Here is how I installed SpinRite to my Mac.
    I would like input on the resource settings that I chose.
    I want to make sure that the instance gets the resources that it needs, but I don't want give it excessive resources that it cannot use.

I also realize that some users won't have a Windows instance to run the EXE. That is beyond this post's intent.
    I am running version 9 on Mac OSX Mavericks.

------------------------
    1. Download my copy of SR from GRC
    2. Open SpinRite EXE from Windows Parallels instance and Create ISO
    3. Install the SpinRite ISO into Parallels
    -a. Preconfigure the instance
    -b. Change the Harddisk from the "Image" to the boot camp partition
    -c. Set instance to boot from "CD" only (Make sure to ONLY check the CD!!!)
    -d. Set RAM to 512MB (need suggestions here)
    -e. Set Video RAM to 32MB (need suggestions here)
    -f. Set CPU to 1 (need suggestions here)
    -g. Preference: Startup View - Window, On VM Shutdown - Close Window, On Window Close - Force to Stop
    4. Continue normally with SpinRite "Boot CD" startup and start scanning
    ------------------------

The above gives me easy upgrades. (I only need to change the ISO to upgrade to 6.1 when it comes out.)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. How did you not run into this message?
    Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 5.45.39 PM.png

Also thanks for posting this, i was trying to figure out how to do it in Parallels and not VirtualBox. Sprinrite in VirtualBox saw my partition but ran like instantly on it and something isn't right with that, but in trying to troubleshoot i didn't want to have to boot into a completely new partition each time to run Spinrite

3. tin omen

tin omen Junior Member

I did run into that message. However, I checked the box and it doesn't display anymore. I figure that if my mac needs Spinrite's services on the bootloader part of the disk, then I will need to wait for 6.1 to come out, or get a new laptop. I think SQRL is all but in the bag now, so we should see some Spinrite 6.1 goodness (native Mac compatibility) pretty soon.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. if its not writing/rewriting on the actual disk though then it's not doing anything to help the data not wear out as fast...Spinrite goes low level and is actually rewriting data. so the bootloader part only means that it's preventing it from getting down to where it needs to be to work...it doesn't actually do anything to the bootloader

5. tin omen

tin omen Junior Member

You are correct. I agree with you that I should get the Spinrite benefit to ALL areas of the disk. That would be super sweet.

However with that said, there are tools to repair the bootloader should it fail. There are not tools to restore my secret never before seen videos of Britney Spears' meltdown.

6. That's not what i'm saying...because Parallels is preventing it from looking at the data on the actual disk (because of the bootloader), it's not going to help you with any of your data.

7. tin omen

tin omen Junior Member

I would be interested in in more information about why you think this message about the boot loader write prevention (common virus prevention mechanism, Windows does it as well) applies to not only the boot record area but to the entire disk.
    Honestly, I had the same thought as you as well. But couldn't find anything on the subject. Maybe I didn't look in the right spots though.

Thanks!

8. tin omen

tin omen Junior Member

Just for completeness sake, I have waited for a reply, but no response...

"because Parallels is preventing it from looking at the data on the actual disk"
    This, I hope, is wrong. If someone could supply clarity/supporting information on this statement, I would appreciate it!

My assumption is that the message was only for boot sector modification. As far as I know, this configuration allows reads to the data portion of the hard drive. Which for my purposes (maintenance) is all that I need. Since I am running an SSD, I am not interested in writes. Periodic full drive reads gets the drive to discover failing sectors (the SSD controller detects and corrects errors, I just use Spinrite to get the drive check itself.)

Should I need to run any other level than level 2, I will put the device in target mode and scan that way.

I would be interested in knowing if the drive is actually not reading data. Any input is welcome.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. MarkR8

MarkR8 Bit poster

Seems like this is actually true now. Steve (GRC) just announced he's moving on from SQRL to work on 6.1 soon.

10. MarkR8

MarkR8 Bit poster

Has anyone run Spinrite in Parallels on an external drive successfully? This post seems to be focused on errors and situations related to running it on the machine which is hosting the virtual machine.

11. AegisI

AegisI Member

I would be enthusiastic about in more information about why you think this concept about the start loading machine create protection is applicable to not only the start history area but to the entire hard drive.