SQL Server on Windows 11 - M1 MACS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Karthikeyan1, Nov 6, 2021.

1. MalikA2

MalikA2 Bit poster

try sql server 2014 x86 it worked for me

2. JasonK26

JasonK26 Bit poster

Hi Lukas, I am very new to this and I have to download 2019 SQL Server Developer for one of my classes. I have parallels and whenever I try opening the file for SQL it shows that it cannot mount. I was wondering if you had a contact that I would be able to message for help on running SQL Server Developer.

3. RobertM66

RobertM66 Bit poster

Hi @LukasV2, I am very impressed and grateful that you have solved a problem that many (including techs at Parallels and Microsoft) said couldn't be solved. I'm quite new to all this. I admittedly know very little about SQL server, and came to your work having tried unsuccessfully to transition from a Windows 10 VM on an Apple Intel based machine, where I used a program that used (and automatically installed) SQLExpress 2012 to manage its databases. That program fails when it tries to install SQLEXPRESS 2012 on Win 11 VM on the M2 Apple machine. I was able to run your Install2019Express .bat and script on my Macbook Air with M2 under most recent Parallels 18 on a Win 11 Pro VM, and I believe it successfully installed the default instance. However, what I needed was to be able to specify particular parameters including 1) the SQL Instance Name, 2) the Login ID (User Name?, eg. "sa"), 3) the Password that the particular program I use requires in its use of SQL to manage its databases, and 4) the directory where the database files will be stored. Do you have a way to do this? Is there a way I might reach you for more information about how to do this (eg. do I need to uninstall the installation of the default prior to doing whatever is needed to install a particular Instance specifying the above info)?

4. TomW21

TomW21 Bit poster

5. RobertM66

RobertM66 Bit poster

@LukasV2, Thanks again so much for your remarkable solution. I apologize for the naivete and lack of sophistication of my previous comment/question. I was able to successfully modify your script to install MS SQL Server Express 2019 with a specific alternatively named instance. I found that trying to add /SECURITYMODE AND /SAPWD parameters to the argument list led to failure, but then successfully made those changes and backup directory changes post-installation, using SQL Server Management Studio. The result works successfully with the application that had been using SQL Server on an Intel-based Mac Windows VM. Cannot thank you enough.

6. JamesO8

JamesO8 Bit poster

LukasV2,
    Thank you so much for providing the scripts. That was a lot of work.

I'm afraid that my hopes of being able to come back to Windows on Parallels on my MBP 14 are going to be lost. Except for your scripts that address a specific installation case, it does not seem that SQL and its installer are supported officially on ARM hardware. I had to move all my VMs to Azure when I got my new MBP, but wish to also be able to have a fully functioning VM locally.

I was successful in getting the downloads to run and the installer to do its thing, and I can access the DB with Studio, but am still coming up short.
    I wish to build a VM with SQL Express 2019 and Oracle Primavera P6.

1. Is there a way to just run the installer wizard instead? I need to set particular parameters during the installation process. Like: SQL authentication, and instance name. I think I can change both of those from Studio, and enable SA account, etc...
    2. The biggest show stopper for me though is I am unable to enable TCP\IP. Under Network Configuration, Protocols, in the SQL Configuration Manager tool, there are no entries--it's just blank. I just need to set a default IP address.

Out of curiosity, why would Microsoft not support / provide a SQL product that is supported on ARM hardware?

Thanks in advance,

Jcalchi

7. iulik

iulik Bit poster

Hello,
    I successfully installed sql server 2022 wit the script thanks for providing.
    Unfortunately I get an when I try to enable FILESTREAM on this server my guess is that the problem again is related to the ARM processor. Has anyone installed the server with the script is able to enable FILESTREAM and do you have any ideas for a workaround ?

8. RobertoA7

RobertoA7 Bit poster

@JamesO8
    I was able to set those parameters via:
    Code:
    set-itemproperty -path 'HKLM:\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\mssql15.MSSQLSERVER\mssqlserver\supersocketnetlib\tcp\ipall' -name tcpdynamicports -value '' ;

set-itemproperty -path 'HKLM:\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\mssql15.MSSQLSERVER\mssqlserver\supersocketnetlib\tcp\ipall' -name tcpport -value 1433 ;

set-itemproperty -path 'HKLM:\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\mssql15.MSSQLSERVER\mssqlserver\' -name LoginMode -value 2 ;

9. MarcinP2

MarcinP2 Bit poster

To update Features :
    Go to your Install Folder of the SQL Server/x64/DEFAULTSETUP.INI

Edit the Default Config and disable Updates
    [OPTIONS]
    PID=22222-00000-00000-00000-00000

UpdateEnabled=False

deinstall the needed feature
    install the needed feature

And everything works :-D

10. UncleG

UncleG Bit poster

@JamesO8 Regarding TCP/IP, you can enable it directly from the windows registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp).
    For now, the biggest problem for me is FILESTREAM.

11. CraigH24

CraigH24 Bit poster

The @LukasV2 script works great for installing SQL server and it's tools, the one issue I'm coming across that I can't seem to sort is the SQL Server Browser service keeps starting and then immediately stopping with the following message in EV:

Code:
    [3] The SQL Server Browser service has shutdown.
    [2] The SQL Server Browser is closing. There are no instances of SQL Server or SQL Server Analysis Services.
    [1] The SQL Server Browser service has started.
    Has anyone come across this or know of a work around?

12. JosephL7

JosephL7 Bit poster

I have a slight suspicion that Microsoft will never give us a solution to this issue because it forces us to use its OS to work with its server products.

13. Victor16

Victor16 Bit poster

After trying hundred times, I was able to install SQL Server Express 2014 x86 (works), I was trying to install x64 does not work

14. TaddeoZ

TaddeoZ Bit poster

Thank you so much for taking the time of detailing the solution, I was able to install SQL 2022 but I now face issues where I cannot see the TCP/Ip Protocol in the configuration. In fact I cannot see any protocols.... is this something that can be fixed? I'm very close to defeat and thinking on returning my new shiny Mac as if I can't install SQL I cannot really work :( :( :( :( :(

15. TaddeoZ

TaddeoZ Bit poster

Where you able to sole the Protocols missing?

16. RoyB10

RoyB10 Bit poster

Hello
    I am using Act v22.1 and I have followed the MS instructions to change the block size to 4096 which should let Act install but it does not, could you help me with the instructions to get act to work?
    Kind Regards

17. Travis310

Travis310 Bit poster

I have been trying for the last day to get SQL 2019 running on Windows 11 (Parallels) on my M2 Max. When running the script I am getting the below error, same that is posted here. Absolutely pulling my hair out!! Anyone have any ideas?

` Exception calling "SetAccessRule" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."
    • $acl.SetAccessRule($accessRule)

18. Troy T.

Troy T. Bit poster

Have you tried shortening the path used by the scripts? Create a folder at the root of the C: drive called Temp or SQL2019 then run the batch file from C:\Temp or C:\SQL2019. Don't run it from a folder within a bunch of other folders and don't try and use a network path to run it. The length of the path size matters. Also be sure you're using a Windows account that's a member of the local administrators group and has a defined password and not a Microsoft account that Microsoft tries to steer you into creating or using when you install Windows 11.

19. ThomasW66

ThomasW66 Bit poster

You can reach out the certified Act! consultants for help here https://actplatinum.com/

20. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member