SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. JeffC22

JeffC22 Bit poster

So I had no choice but to give up. Thanks for the script though. It at least gave me something to work with. Hope all is well.

2. RussellW6

RussellW6 Bit poster

Hi Lukasv2, Thank you for the script. it works for my on my MacBook Pro M2 with Windows 11 installed in the Parallels VM

3. AzizA3

AzizA3 Bit poster

Hello Everyone
    what about , user.... and password ......, I didn't find them in there script , did I need them

4. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

How Can I find Username and Password?

Please anyone can help me

5. DavidP60

DavidP60 Bit poster

Thank you so much! Ran into your post early on & didn't realize that I needed to adjust security settings to run powershell script, after two days of being educated in everything that doesn't work, found your post again & worked perfectly. You are the man!

ping2 likes this.
  6. ErickM6

ErickM6 Bit poster

I have a MBP M1 Pro and been trying a lot of methodes to get Sql server work but had not success with any method, finally decided to try it for the las time with other methode and FINALLY WORKED . Here it is:
    -Install Parallels Versión 18.1.0 (53311)
    -Download and install SQL SERVER 2014 ️"32 BIT VERSION ONLY"️ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299
    -Download and install SSMS 18.11.1 Version https://365tips.be/en/software-update-download-sql-server-management-studio-18-11-1-ssms/
    ENJOY!

Working June 2023
    Hope it works for for everyone who is dealing with that.

7. AbdelK

AbdelK Bit poster

Oooofff!!! finally, after so many attempts, I was able to succeed in installing and running an sql server on my Macbook Pro M1 Pro Ventura 13.2.
    I've tried the solution provided by EricM6 and it worked. So long stories short:
    I've downloaded and installed SQL SERVER 2014 ️32 BIT VERSION ONLY. Then, I tried the SSMS V19, which I've already installed on my machine. And BOOYA! It worked.
    Oh, a small clarification, My Parallels v1.8.2 (23832) worked just fine!
    Many thanks to the community for their help and especially to EricM6 without whom I would still be struggling.

8. GutenbergD

GutenbergD Bit poster

Thank you!! It's work fine.

9. GutenbergD

GutenbergD Bit poster

Thank you!! It's work fine for me.

10. AlexC32

AlexC32 Bit poster

Captura de pantalla 2023-07-04 a las 23.52.17.png After executing the .bat, the SQL Server 2019 image is downloaded correctly, but when installing it, the error appears: Start-Process : This command cannot be executed due to the error: The system cannot find the file
    specified.
    In C:\temp\install2019Express.ps1: 72 Character: 5
    + Start-Process -FilePath $fullInstallerPath -ArgumentList "/q" -Wa ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: :)) [Start-Process], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Vlad14 and GuiguiDaan like this.
  11. LucaR7

LucaR7 Bit poster

Thank you so much LukasV2.
    I just bought a Mac Studio M2 Ultra and went thru the installation process for SQL Server 2022 Developer Edition smoothly thanks to your work.
    I will need to install SQL Server Agent now, will read thru the parameters and see if I can work it out.
    BTW: at first, the batch didn't work. I had installed the default localized version of Windows (Italian in my case). I switched to English US, as I read the files mentioned in the .ps1 file were them, and retried, the second time it worked flawlessly.
    Thanks again

12. JieciL

JieciL Bit poster

13. GregC13

GregC13 Bit poster

Hi LukasV2. Thanks for this script but unfortunately I need to create an SQL database instance with a specific instance name, mixed mode login, with a specific login name and password. I have found the places in the script to change the instance name but I don't know how to change the Authentication mode from the current Windows authentication mode to the Mixed mode (Windows and SQL Server Authentication) using your script. Can you please instruct me how I would do this with your script? It would be of great help to me. Thanks.

I am attaching a png file that shows the part of the the normal SQL Server installation which your script sets automatically and I would like to change.
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 11.50.59 AM.png

14. ping2

ping2 Bit poster

Hi LukasV2, many thanks because you just saved my day! After several attemps, i found your script and it works. Finally I can get back to work now, have a nice day!

15. AngelaC3

AngelaC3

Hola chicos, pude descargar SQL Server en mi Mac M1, y usar SSMS en Windows 11 mediante Parallels.
    Solución: Instalen Docker y Azure Data Studio en su Mac siguiendo este video:
    Luego utilicen este enlace: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/microsoft-sql-apple-silicon-docker-desktop/
    En el server name: colocan la IP de su MAC; Authentication: SQL Server Authentication; Login: sa; Password: la que pusiste cuando usaste el primer link para Azure.
    Y listo, esto es lo que me funciono a mi.

16. GuiguiDaan

GuiguiDaan Bit poster

Hi everyone, just have a question, in order to install an accounting software on my M1 Pro, i have to activate FILESTREAM in my SQL SERVER. I have installed SQL Server 2014 (that successed only if i choose x86, x64 a fail) but if i activate FILESTREAM in SQL Server Management, i have directly an unknown error. So, the really question is it possible to activate this feature on my SQL Server in my M1 Pro or not ? If yes, how do you activate that ? I use a Windows 11 Pro ARM64

Regards

17. GlennW3

GlennW3 Bit poster

Confirmed the scripts work on M2 Macs running Parallels 19 Desktop and Windows 11 ARM64. Nice job!

18. Troy T.

Troy T. Bit poster

Switching the instance into Mixed Mode is easy:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/s...ver-authentication-mode?view=sql-server-ver16

19. GeoTe

GeoTe Bit poster

Got super excited about this thread and recently tried to install Winsows 11 Pro and SQL Server (using LukasV2's script) on an M2 Mac.
    I have IIS/ASP setup on a windows 10 VM on a 10 year old Mac Pro which works great. Installed everything on a new Macbook M2 Air, BUT it seems SQL Server runs extraordinary slow on Win 11 arm in parallels - so it's back to intel for me until performance improves.

I may give Docker a try and see if SQL Server runs better on that. Appreciate everybody's efforts/suggestions.

20. MarcinP2

MarcinP2 Bit poster

Just use Docker it is simple fast nd reliable.