Stale file handles in /psf mounts?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by trixie, Feb 9, 2009.

1. trixie

trixie Junior Member

I think I am seeing an issue with file handles going stale in /psf mounts during code compilation. I am running Fedora Core 10 x86_64 under Parallels v4.0.3810 and have a psf-mounted folder that contains approximately 2000 C++ source code files. The reason I am building within a psf-mounted folder is because the folder is a working copy of a subversion check out.

When I run ``make'' on the fedora side, things progress for a while and then eventually abort due to a rather puzzling looking error.

When I try to re-invoke ``make'', it just hangs in the dependency checking phase. Furthermore, if I perform a ``find'' on the target directory where all the object files reside, the ``find'' hangs when it reaches a certain nested directory. I have attempted rebooting Fedora, restarting the Parallels Desktop, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the Parallels Tools, all to no avail. On the OS X side, I see nothing wrong with the subdirectories that are hanging on the Fedora side. If I remove these subdirectories on the OS X side and reinvoke ``make'' on the Fedora side, it starts building again and eventually reaches the exact same "operation not permitted error" and results in hangs again. If I copy the entire source code into onto a non-psf volume in Fedora, things build fine -- no error.

I wonder if there is some sort of file count limit causing the problem. FYI, the number of files created during ``make'' are 2132. Maybe anything above 2048 files is causing a problem?

For the time being I think I will need to abandon /psf style mounts and will mount via NSF instead. While the work-around of copying all source code into a Fedora-owned mount does work, it is not desirable from a code development point of view because I prefer to work from a single subversion copy and perform builds on all architectures relative to that copy.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

To make sure it is related to psf Shared folders, please try to mount the same folder by Samba, or nfs and check situation, if it is normal, we need to investigate why it is wrong in this case

3. trixie

trixie Junior Member

I just built the same code base via an NFS mount, and it built fine without any errors or hangs.