Startup on VM set to "Never", still starts automatically

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sparker, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sparker

sparker Member

I have the "Startup Automatically" preference (Virtual Machine --> Configure --> Options --> Startup and Shutdown" ) set to NEVER, but my VM's automatically start when double-clicked in the Finder. How do I get Parallels to respect the setting of "NEVER"? I often want to run about 3VMs at once (testing Client Server apps), but I don't want them to all try to "boot" at the same time. I want to highlight all three VMs in Finder, and open them, but then be able to start the individually by "clicking to start".

Why does Parallels seem to ignore the setting of "NEVER".

Steve
    Mac OSX 10.6.6, 8Gb RAM, Parallels Build 6.0.11992,(Revision 625164; December 17, 2010)

2. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

The VM is always going to open if you're double clicking on the alias to the VM. You're essentially telling Parallels to open a document.

If you want to open Parallels w/o opening a VM, make an alias to just the Parallels app. Toggling the open/neveropen setting only applies to Parallels itself.

3. pcrandom

pcrandom Bit poster

If you hold down the Command (Apple) key, while Parallels Desktop is launching (after you double-click on the VM files), it will also prevent the VMs from booting.