Static IPs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by compchat, Aug 28, 2006.

1. compchat

compchat Junior Member

Using an iMac I notice that the OS X has a dynamic IP and windows XP has a different dynamic IP address.

I want to upgrade to static IPs(from my ISP) so as to run an FTP server and Web server from Windows XP (yes I know I can do it with dynamic dns).

My question. Do I simply assign one static IP to OS X and a different one to windows XP (am getting 8 static IPs)?

Let's say I have 4 different computers with 4 different static IPs. How would I network them so I could transfer files between them?

Thanks

:p

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Sounds like Qwest, and if it is you are get 8 Statics but you will only be able to use 5.

I really recommend that us get a router with a firewall and manage the external ip on the router and setup nat with internal IPs. (192.168.0.X) for security purposes.

I would only assign the statics to what needs it, IE. the VM running FTP and WEB Server. IMHO

But yes you will need to have seperate Statics for Mac and the XP, so your Mac running several VMs could easily consume all your statics. hence the router suggestion.

Hope this helps