Storing all my data in the Window VM file

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MatthiasE5, May 20, 2021.

1. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Hello,

after some time with MacOS and Windows Insider on an M1 MacBook, I have decided that I want to use Windows for 80% of my tasks. Libre Office works better, my favorite Text editor works great there, and I find Directory Opus much superior to PathFinder. The only thing that I prefer on MacOS is iPhone Backup/Connectivity, video files, and browsing the web (via Firefox for ARM which imakes use of 100% of the vertical screen with a userchrome file.)
    As a result, storing all my files (loads of photos, documents, etc., about 100 GB) in the virtual machine seems more reasonable to me, I think that will cause fewer issues because they are all on the virtual NTFS file system then.
    I have set up the following:
    parallels: 5 snapshots retained, every 8 hours. (I don't know if that's too much after I have added 100 gb of data)
    My hard drive has 1 TB.
    My virtual drive in parallels is set to 384 GB.
    I plan on doing an incremental image backup of windows via macrium every day, plus a versioned file backup intra-daily, fine grained every 5 minutes for the last 2 hours, then every 30 minutes.
    The intra-daily backups are done via permanently attached SDXD card.
    Editors are set to safe data every minute.
    So I do take measures....
    But I would like to know how safe my files in the VM are as opposed to storing them directly on the Mac. Is it unwise to do that?
    I would buy a windows machine, but the Mac Hardware is just superior, with no fan (!!), blazing fast, excellent touchpad /keyboard. (I have sworn to myself, never again fan noise of any kind, so that reduces choices, basically every windows laptop has some shortcomings still.)