Strange message after new Version 4.0.3844 install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by geodon005, May 6, 2009.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

here, too :-(

but then it ain't exactly an expensive product and the company seems to have a huge repertoire.
    Bit like one of they restaurants with a huge menu and everything's 'affordable' :)

( I remember Jimmy's in Soho. Wonder if it's still there)

So I'll pass on the update until things settle down - like you did, I hope!

... and be grateful for the update pioneers like Pablo, who go out there and step on the mines so that we can pass safely

cheers

peter

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If you guys deleted the offending kexts manually you would save yourselves a lot of time (thou Parallels should fix the problem in their uninstaller/installer).

3. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

I know I shouldn't be asking this - as it probably isn't anything I need to know, being a musician not a developer or service wallah, but what is a kext, and where does it live?

It seems, according to you, that I need to eliminate them from my territory, but I have no idea what kind of beast they are.

Do they live in flocks, or are they solitary beasts?

why are they here and what are they doing that they shouldn't be doing?

peter

4. RedFoxy Darrest

RedFoxy Darrest Bit poster

I fixed it following that steps:

DON'T FOLLOW THAT STEPS IF YOU ARE NOT SURE!!! You can DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM and LOOSE ALL DATA if you wronge to type something or to delete wornge file!!!

EXTREME DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

1) uninstall parallels 3844 with the uninstaller
    2) restart
    3) open a terminal window
    4) type: sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb (and type your password when asked)
    5) locate parallels
    6) following the results that you give with point 5, I deleted all files of parallels (but not removing files with parallels word in his name but located in directory of other programs, like cache of safari, istatpro and virtual machine directory), that's a simple list of files:

/Library/Parallels/
    /Library/Logs/parallels.log
    /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/.parallels
    /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/.parallels_settings
    /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory
    /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.parallels*
    /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.desktop.plist

To delete by terminal you can use: sudo rm -rf files_or_directories_to_delete

7) locate prl
    8) such as 6:

/private/var/log/prl_disp_service_server.log
    /System/Library/Extensions/prl_*

9) restart your computer
    10) OPRIONAL - To be sure that you have deleted all kernel module, open your terminal window and type:
    kextstat -l | grep prl
    ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl

If you get no result you can install your Parallels 3844 again and enjoy!

5. David Sampson

David Sampson Bit poster

I'm with peterlemer. Can't get my head round to much tech talk. for the moment I have reinstalled previous version 3810 and will stick with that until they sort out an update that works. have wasted 2 days on this and have had enough. better things to do!!!

6. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

I wonder what proportion of those updating both P4 and OSX are encountering problems.

Are we a tiny minority, or is this happening all over the civilized world with tech support boffins from all sorts of outlets feeding back to Parallels team and the latter frantically responding and seeking a fix?

If the latter, then I have to wonder how come this issue passed the beta stage ( and those earlier issues, for that matter)

peter

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team