paul koltnow
Bit poster
I've spent about three hours searching this forum and I can't find anything about what seems to me a very basic question so I'm going to lean on you guys.
I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0.(upgraded to latest version) I am running this on a Mac Pro with 8gb ram and Intel quad core processor. I'm using leopard 10.5.6.
I am wanting to add my XP computer (desktop) to my Mac Pro, seems simple enough right? I ran transporter on my windows machine. I followed the migration wizard and used express migration. After about 2 hours I was left with these files; .csv, two .hdd files, a system file and something else I don't remember.
Everything seems to be going as expected right? I believe I have followed the manual exactly to this point.
I moved these files to an external HD and connected to my Mac Pro. Now here is where my confusion begins.
I tried to run Transporter on the Mac but this was no good. It could not find the files. I read the parallels manual and left very confused. At this point I had not installed a Virtual Machine on my Mac. I figured this was the problem, and created a new Virtual Machine using Parallels Desktop. I had to find my XP disc and go through the full XP installation. Which seems wrong to me. If I am going to be using an XP system that is fully functioning why do I have to install a new XP OS?
I installed the new XP system and it was running great. Ok so back to Transporter. It is my thought that I have to use Transporter again on the Mac. When I do this I still can't find the files. I then guessed that maybe I had to copy the files off the external HD so I copied 112gb onto my Mac HD. After 87 minutes of this fun. Still no luck. transporter can not find these files.
If I click on the files directly Parallels tells that they are read only. I then got some success by going through the Parallels > file > open. Which produced an error message that told me that I had to contact Parallels support to be able to open the files.
At this point I've just about given up. I thought I knew something about computers but I am really frustrated so far.
My last attempt was to copy all of my files on my XP machine that I wanted on my Mac to a Ex HD and then just bring these files over to my Mac and call it a work-around. But when I did this two very interesting things occurred. My XP virtual machine said it couldn't open any of the files, and I had copies of everything I added to the Virtual XP on my Mac desktop.
I know this is a long post and I apologize but I wanted to explain what I did and why. I also want you to know that I read these forums and googled as well as read the manual. I feel beat up.
Thanks,
Peej
I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0.(upgraded to latest version) I am running this on a Mac Pro with 8gb ram and Intel quad core processor. I'm using leopard 10.5.6.
I am wanting to add my XP computer (desktop) to my Mac Pro, seems simple enough right? I ran transporter on my windows machine. I followed the migration wizard and used express migration. After about 2 hours I was left with these files; .csv, two .hdd files, a system file and something else I don't remember.
Everything seems to be going as expected right? I believe I have followed the manual exactly to this point.
I moved these files to an external HD and connected to my Mac Pro. Now here is where my confusion begins.
I tried to run Transporter on the Mac but this was no good. It could not find the files. I read the parallels manual and left very confused. At this point I had not installed a Virtual Machine on my Mac. I figured this was the problem, and created a new Virtual Machine using Parallels Desktop. I had to find my XP disc and go through the full XP installation. Which seems wrong to me. If I am going to be using an XP system that is fully functioning why do I have to install a new XP OS?
I installed the new XP system and it was running great. Ok so back to Transporter. It is my thought that I have to use Transporter again on the Mac. When I do this I still can't find the files. I then guessed that maybe I had to copy the files off the external HD so I copied 112gb onto my Mac HD. After 87 minutes of this fun. Still no luck. transporter can not find these files.
If I click on the files directly Parallels tells that they are read only. I then got some success by going through the Parallels > file > open. Which produced an error message that told me that I had to contact Parallels support to be able to open the files.
At this point I've just about given up. I thought I knew something about computers but I am really frustrated so far.
My last attempt was to copy all of my files on my XP machine that I wanted on my Mac to a Ex HD and then just bring these files over to my Mac and call it a work-around. But when I did this two very interesting things occurred. My XP virtual machine said it couldn't open any of the files, and I had copies of everything I added to the Virtual XP on my Mac desktop.
I know this is a long post and I apologize but I wanted to explain what I did and why. I also want you to know that I read these forums and googled as well as read the manual. I feel beat up.
Thanks,
Peej