Sudden VM corruption

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LukasE, May 19, 2016.

1. LukasE

LukasE Bit poster

Hi,
    i am maintaining an iOS/OSX build environment. I have four physical Macs with each running two OSX ElCap VMs with Parallels 11. Some days ago, I installed updates on the VMs and scheduled a reboot afterwards. About half of the boxes came back afterwards. The rest never booted again. When turning on one of the corrupted machines, it just sais:

Boot Failed: Mac OS X
    Boot Failed: EFI Hard Drive
    Boot Failed: OS X Recovery ....

then its fires up the EFI Shell version 2.31 and thats all.

Why can VMs become corrupted so easily?
    How can I recover them?
    How can I figure out what happened?

Thank you in advance.

Lukas

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi LukasE, the error occurred because EFI boot is enabled on the particular Mac OS X virtual machine. In order to fix the issue, please follow the instructions given below:
    1. Stop your virtual machine (in Mac menu choose Actions > Stop).
    2. Open your virtual machine's configuration > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Uncheck Use EFI Boot option:
    3. Start your virtual machine.

3. LukasE

LukasE Bit poster

Hi PaulChris,
    unfortunately, there is no such option. Are you sure, this is correct for OS X. Doesn't OSX boot from EFI only?

Cheers
    Lukas

Attached Files:

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi LukasE, please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue:
    1. Go to Parallels Desktop > File > New...
    2. Specify the installation DVD.
    3. At the "Name and Location" part tick Customize setting before installation and click Continue.
    4. Open your virtual machine's Configuration > Hardware Tab > Boot Order
    5. Add the following boot flag into the Boot flags field:
    vm.bios.efi=0
    6. Switch to CD/DVD and select a physical name of your drive (not "DEFAULT CD/DVD-ROM")
    7. Close configuration windows and proceed with the installation:

5. LukasE

LukasE Bit poster

Hi, I do not understand why I should start an installation. Though, I added vm.bios.efi=0 to my boot flags and the machine seems to start booting. Though it ends up being stuck at a black screen. :(

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi LukasE, please start your virtual machine and go to Action->Reset to fix black screen issue in virtual machine and let us know how it works.

7. LukasE

LukasE Bit poster

Hello Paul,
    I think there must be a huge misunderstanding here. This is a Mac OS X Forum. I am not talking about Windows. Also my previous posts should have stated clearly what OS i am using.
    Cheers
    Lukas

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi LukasE, please start your Mac OS X virtual machine and go to Action->Reset to fix black screen issue in the virtual machine and let us know how it works

9. LukasE

LukasE Bit poster

Nope, unfortunately not.

10. NeilR1

NeilR1 Bit poster

For anyone that comes across this issue in future - I have recently had a very similar problem. Got the exact same error as LukasE - apparently as a result of hitting the "Reclaim Space" button on Parallels when hard drive space became too low. On further investigation, I examined the "Hard Drives" setting within the virtual machine configuration and noted that all of a sudden the main boot disk had been changed from the guest OS X VM disk, to the hard drive of a different Windows 10 VM (within a different Parallels .pvm image file!). I selected "Browse for disk" or similar, and relocated the original OS X VM disk and then the virtual machine proceeded to boot as normal.

Hope this helps someone out there. I was about to start from scratch before I stumbled on this!