Suggestion: Need a way to name USB devices in the menu

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dburr, Jul 16, 2006.

1. dburr

dburr Junior Member

Hopefully the Parallels developers are out there, reading this forum.

Despite what others may say, the USB support in Parallels 1.0 is actually good enough for my needs. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a cosmetic problem however: in the USB menu, some of my devices show up with really weird names. My LaCie BigDisk 500 GB external USB hard drive, for example, shows up in the menu with the name "VERSION 2.0", whereas my external 16x DVD burner (which I rescued from my desktop PC before selling it, and encased in a cheap generic USB external enclosure) shows up as "Composite 059f:0527". And as if that weren't confusing enough, my Canon PiXMA iP90 portable printer shows up as "Composite 04a9:109d"!

This obviously leads to some rather confusing situations; for example, disconnecting the printer device (because I am done with it and want to put it away) but accidentally disconnecting the DVD drive instead -- while I was in the process of copying files off of it.

I am assuming that these "names" are obtained by querying the USB devices themselves, and that my devices happen to have very stupid names. It would be nice if we could manually re-assign the device names in the menu to something that makes more sense to us as humans. (i.e. Parallels would keep a look-up table of sorts in memory... whenever it sees "Composite 04a9:109d" it instead substitues "Canon iP90", and so on.

Admittedly, this is somewhat low on the priority scale (getting USB support to work more robustly is obviously more important, as I see that there are many people out there that are having USB problems), but if you could fix this little irritation sometime before even 2.0, that would be awesome.

Thanks for a great product!