Support FaceTime Webcam Passthrough With macOS As Both Host And Guest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Parallels User
  • Start date Start date
P

Parallels User

FaceTime Webcam Passthrough has been added as a feature and is functional when macOS is the host and Windows 11 is the guest. I think this should also be added as a feature for macOS VMs where macOS is the host and the guest. Having this feature and not having to deal with an external webcam would be enough for me to upgrade from the free trial and stop using Fusion.
 
FaceTime Webcam Passthrough has been added as a feature and is functional when macOS is the host and Windows 11 is the guest. I think this should also be added as a feature for macOS VMs where macOS is the host and the guest. Having this feature and not having to deal with an external webcam would be enough for me to upgrade from the free trial and stop using Fusion.
Hey @CalebT2 , thanks for the feedback! What's your use case with macOS VM and FaceTime camera in particular? Do you have an Intel-based Mac or with Apple silicon?
 
Hey @CalebT2 , thanks for the feedback! What's your use case with macOS VM and FaceTime camera in particular? Do you have an Intel-based Mac or with Apple silicon?

Hi there, I am using an Apple Silicon Mac. On my host OS, I have stayed on the previous macOS version to preserve some parts of my workflow. There are a couple pieces of macOS software that I use that require a webcam and no longer work on older versions, which is where a VM running the latest macOS version comes into play. I can certainly use a USB webcam, but I can also do this on other VM software, and carrying around an additional piece of hardware is inconvenient.
 
I've also tried solutions like OBS, but the latency is pretty awful. Of course, there are other plausible use cases outside of my specific situation, such as macOS security researchers using a VM to play with any software that uses camera features, etc.
 
Back
Top