SuSE 10.2 Linux installation Hangs in 4128

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by TheSystemHasFailed, Jun 20, 2007.

1. TheSystemHasFailed

TheSystemHasFailed Member

I'm trying to do a new installation of SuSE 10.2 under build 4128 but during the final phase (hardware configuration) the SuSE install hangs. It completes video card check, but never gets any further.

Anyone else see this?

2. nortonml

nortonml Bit poster

I had problems beginning with the upgrade to Parallels 3.0. The OpenSuSE 10.2 VM could no longer see its network connection. I attempted to re-install OpenSuSE 10.2 and ended up with the same result as you. I removed Parallels and re-installed, and ended up with the same problem. I assume that they will fix this at some point, but in the meantime I went ahead and loaded the latest VMWare Fusion (Beta 4), and it works like a charm.

3. kat

kat Product Expert

Yes, but I was able to get SuSE to install.

If you reinstall openSuSE, and when it get to automatically detect vedio/etc. if you chose the other option to configure later/manually you will get SuSE to install. With a much smaller screen size, (at this point it will not allow me to make alterations to the monitor settings had a little help from one of my children he also changed the size of my font). But SuSE is working.
    I believe, on your first boot. You will be asked about the monitor. I would check automatically configure at this point. Because the installation is complete you are just configuring the monitor.

Kat

4. nortonml

nortonml Bit poster

I was unable even to choose the option to skip the configuration. The system had already frozen. I did shut down and reboot, thus bypassing the problem, but by this point the network connection no longer worked. I was able then to get OpenSuSE working (with Parallels tools), albeit with no network connectivity, neither NAT (shared) nor bridged.

5. TheSystemHasFailed

Nope.. no luck. I get to that last Hardware Configuration screen where I'm greeted with two radio buttons "Configure Manually" and "Use Following Configuration" and I'm stuck.

6. TheSystemHasFailed

I got around this problem by installing with ACPI disabled. Then it worked fine.

Just thought I'd share...

7. kat

kat Product Expert

SuSE is a really great OS. I am glad you got it to work for you. Like your fix, what size
    screen do you have?

I still have the 800 x 600 screen size.

Kat

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  8. TheSystemHasFailed

I *did* get it to work. Then I installed the Parallels tools and now networking and sound are hosed... :(

9. Julian Droms

Julian Droms Bit poster

I had the same problem with the SUSE install. I tried different things. First I tried downloading the install as a DVD .iso file. Then I tried adding on different peripherals to the virtual machine (printer, etc...) that output to file, even though I had no actual printer attached to the computer.

After this, the install went through smoothly and the system initially went up fine. But then I tried to reboot, and the system would hang, looks like at the point where the generic CD/DVD driver would load. Tried disabling / uninstalling the DVD feature in parallels, tried swtiching from the actual DVD to the ISO as the DVD source, neither worked. I wasn't able to figure it out. I'm trying to install again with some different settings, but I'm not very optimistic. My trial runs out soon & I want to get this running before I decide to make a purchase.

I have not yet tried to turn off ACPI, because I'm not sure what that will do.

Anyone with any tips? Much appreciated.

10. Julian Droms

Julian Droms Bit poster

I just tried again. I noted, after the initial system install but before the configuration step, there is a reboot. I saw a notice that scrolled by during the reboot that said that ACPI was not supported. Was it saying that it was the BIOS that does not support it? Is that in reference to the fake BIOS in the virtual machine?

Don't get it yet.. I'll try the other way...

11. TheSystemHasFailed

How did installing with ACPI disabled work for you? That did the trick for me.

12. lyttek

lyttek Bit poster

I had the same problem. But, I'd experienced something similar before with another distro and had already disabled acpi.

In this case, it was hanging on the audio detection. Killing the audio capabilities of the VM solved that problem.

This was on SLES 10.2

13. lejazzeur

lejazzeur Bit poster

hi pals
    Maybe you can get around that problem with 512 MB RAM and ACPI disabled. i had 1024 MB before and it always hanged at the last point. i made the experience that using 512 MB RAM can solve many installation problems.

peace LeJazzeur

14. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

15. disk91

disk91 Bit poster

same issue

Changing my configuration from 512 Mb instead of 1024 solve the network issue lost when I restarted the installation after crash (first post install never finished)
    I also had a problem during first step of the boot : boot time was really long. Now it is solved.

Parallels team ... I think you have a bug somewhere with peripherical mapping ? haven't you ?

16. TheSystemHasFailed

Thanks for that! But don't you think I should still be able to use the product to do this??

17. hotblack

hotblack Member

There are numerous problems with Linux support but the only responses from Parallels we get is 'use the provided VM'. They don't ever try to actually address the issues.

I've gone through the official support route and things are as bad if not worse. The responses I've received so far to very detailed descriptions of issues I've experienced look as if they haven't read any the information given and barely use the product.

As others have said VMWare Fusion doesn't suffer any of these problems so these are clearly Parallels bugs which they are either unable or unwilling to address. A shame as the company started off looking so promising, but now they seem to be incapable of making either a solid or properly supported product.

18. TheSystemHasFailed

Well I know where this company is located... it's a small office-complex district in Renton, Washington (which isn't exactly a 'high-rent' town).

19. hotblack

hotblack Member

That may be the front office, but I think a lot of the programming/support is handled elsewhere. To be honest location means little these days though.

ACPI is a pretty important thing to get working for Linux, without it there's no chance of proper power management from the OS (hence the problems with sleep, shutdown etc). Then there's the known issues with sound and networking.

I'd really like an answer from support on when/if these issues are going to be fixed and if we will be charged for the bug fixes.

20. phil1ooo

phil1ooo Bit poster

Just Doesn't Work Properlly

Hello

I have done all the uninstall reinstall to many times and have given up,because if I do get it going by disabling video /anything else which will mean something will not work properly when it does get started and then i'm stuck working on a limited system which is not what i paid for.So I will be asking for a refund.

I downloaded VmWare and installed Suse.Went through the first time without a clitch what so ever and I have full access to everything on my pc,,as thier customer service even over the phone was second to none,I would say the best customer service and most rapid I have seen over and other for any company on the internet.AAAAAAAAA service.

I think parallels for this software shoud take it of the market or reacess what it can do instead of wasting honest peoples time,,it is by no means linux compatible on windows,,it may work with windows in windows by deafenatly no linux compatible so don't waste precious hours trying.Oh just for the record because it wasn't working and I thought it was either my pc or the linux OS i downloaded,I downloaded 6 different versions of Linux and none worked so PARALLELS owes me not only a refund but for 7 days at 12 hours a days worth of time at $30.00 an hour thats a weeks wages plus for my download limit as it over clocked my monthly plan due to this problem,so at the end of the day I'm about $1500.00au behind,Thanks PARALLEL and hope you see it in your companys eETHICS to refund me my $80.00au I paid for this software, so I think I have more than payed for this product,Don't you.Vmware might be dearer but at least it works.

Thanks to all that helped me and hope you have a better and much more pleasurable experience.