SuSE Linux 10.1 support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by northsea, Jul 8, 2006.

1. northsea

northsea Junior Member

The current DVD-iso image fails to install properly on Parallels running on OS X.

Parallels starts fine, the DVD-image boots too fine, but fails to continue, once the installer reaches the partition/software setup. The problems seems to relate to a mis-spelled installation path: Instead of '/' characters in the 'dvd:///' schema, '%2F' and '%3F' chars are shown.

On a real PC, the DVD boots fine.

I'd be too happy to use 10.1 on my Mac powered Parallels installation.

2. rrdny

rrdny Bit poster

SuSe Linux 10.1

Ugh...I was hoping that I had a corrupted download.... I'm getting the same problem. I'm installing from the .iso image. From your note, I believe that you were trying from physical CD's or DVD...true?

3. craigontour

craigontour Bit poster

I downloaded the set of 5 CDs for 10.1 x86_64 distribution and upon installation it said I needed a 32-bit distro.

On the web site I couldn't see which was appropriate for a Dual Core CPU - I thought it was Pentium D in fact which has only 64-bit version.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
    C.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Sorry, 64 bit guest mode isn't supported yet. But it is under development.

5. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

SUSE 10.1 does indeed fail on Parallels

The latest DVD of SUSE Linux 10.1 does indeed fail on Parallels. There is a workaround for the first failure: if you get the error message, "no catalog found" just before the installation begins, exit the installer, disconnect/reconnect the DVD drive, and run the installer again. That should fix it... note that it happens with VMWare too, so it's not just Parallels for the first problem. Reference: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions//showthread.php?t=454569.

The second problem is more of an issue. The SUSE installer can't create the swap file partition. Once again this problem affects both VMWare and Parallels virtual machines... there is a workaround (Reference: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=37801) but it appears to only work on VMWare and not on Parallels. Therefore, I'm unable to install SUSE 10.1.

Am hoping one of the Parallels developers takes a look at this (download the latest SUSE 10.1 DVD) and can figure out how to fix it.

6. keagriver

keagriver Bit poster

Suse 10.0

For what it's worth, I was able to load both Suse 10.0 and Fedora core 5

7. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

Must be installer changes in 10.1. Also today I downloaded the 10.1 Live DVD version (different from the installer version), and that didn't boot at all. Since it's a bootable Live DVD, there's not anything I can do on my end... ugh.

8. CorpSpy

CorpSpy Bit poster

10.1 DVD (German packaged version, not download) installed on my machine under Parallels without any problems.

-Rainer