Switching View Mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chuckcheeze, Apr 25, 2007.

1. chuckcheeze

chuckcheeze Bit poster

I set up an XP VM for coherence mode. However, I find myself usually working in OS window mode. I try to go to the VM settings and set it up for window mode when the VM starts, but it always tells me to stop the VM before I can change settings. But, when I shut down my XP using the start button, close Parallels using file > quit, stop, pause or suspend my VM, the entire app eaither quits, or the VM is not shut down so I can't change the settings.

How do I stop the VM but keep parallels open so I can change the VM settings?

2. miker51

miker51 Member

Start Parallels from the main Parallels app in your Applications folder, rather than starting your individual Windows VM. Then do a shutdown from within Windows (Start -> Turn off computer -> Shutdown). Once the VM shuts down, Parallels itself should stay open so that you can edit the VM's configuration.

3. chuckcheeze

chuckcheeze Bit poster

that isn't working. I started P from the apps folder and the VM opened and then when I exited the windows VM, parallels shut down completely. Is there a setting to not start and stop the default VM with parallels?

4. Christopher

Christopher Parallels Team

You can open VM PVS file with TextEditor and manually edit Start Auto and Autoshutdown strings.

5. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

You didn't need to exit the VM. You just click on the line of the setting you want changed and an edit window appears so you can make the change.