"System requirements not met ..."

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnW70, Feb 9, 2023.

1. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

With Windows 11 running on my Intel iMac 18,3 (2017 27-inch) with Parallels for more than a year, I have only just noticed an alert "System requirements not met. Go to settings to learn more." There one reads "This PC doesn't meet system requirements for running Windows 11 [...] Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates." In fact, I have always received daily updates for Windows Defender, Cumulative Updates once or twice a month, and
    2023-01 Update for Windows 11 for ×64-based Systems (KB4023057) on the 24th January. Checking Privacy and Security in Windows shows everything (TPM and Safe Boot) and to be in place with green ticks. Do I need to pay much attention to this alert? It does not appear on my M1 Mac. Is there a way of making it go away?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello John,
    Would you help me and send a screenshot of the alert? Where does it come from?

3. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Thanks Mikhail,
    Desktop.png is the alert as it appears at the bottom right of the Windows Desktop;
    Settings.png is the alert seen at the top of Settings when you open it;
    LearnMore.jpg (had to convert/reduce it to send it) is what you see if you click on the "Learn More" link.
    Hoping these are visible.

Attached Files:

4. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

I went back to a saved PVM from the 12th January, when the alert was certainly not showing. The alert is still there. Next thing to try, a complete reinstall of Parallels and Windows 11. Will report back.

5. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Complete reinstall, then, when attempting to update Windows 11, the following alert: "This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. Here's why. The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows." So Mac M1 ARM is fine, Mac Intel Core i5 is now no good, though it seemed to work from late 2021 to January 2023. I gather nobody else is seeing this.

Attached Files:

6. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

The response to ticket #3954497 seems to imply that Parallels are unable to help with this, and that I need to contact Microsoft. (That raises a concern I will post elsewhere in this forum.) The broader implication is that Parallels is no longer able to run Windows 11 on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz, so for me there is no point in keeping Parallels on this iMac.

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi John,
    would you reproduce the issue once again on a Windows 11 virtual machine (VM) right after the error message appears and collect a fresh technical report as per https://kb.parallels.com/9058 ? Don't forget to attach a screenshot of your Windows screen to the report, please. Once done, send me the report ID in your reply, please.

8. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Technical report 418472691 sent, but I think I may have found something (nothing to do with Parallels) that could be the source of the problem. Will report back (here and to the ticket) when I have tried something different.

9. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Problem solved!
    I attach a shot of the current Windows Security -> Device Security page that is better than anything I have seen before.
    Nothing to do with Parallels, mainly Windows licensing and my forgetfulness.
    I came to the conclusion that the problem derived from the Bootcamp partition that was originally imported into the Parallels PVM.
    My early idea of a complete erase and reinstall of Windows using the Parallels installer did not work because I was unable to activate it.
    Subsequent re-installations of Windows from within Windows (i.e. Restore) must have retained the hidden problem.
    The solution came when I remembered that the original Windows 11 installation was a free update from Windows 10, so the original licensing key could not work on a clean Windows 11 installation.
    I thought of reinstalling Windows 10 and updating, but found a new Windows 11 key an easier and quicker alternative.
    With a fresh licensing key for Windows 11, a clean install was easily activated, and seems to have made a drastic improvement.
    Now updated to Windows 22H2, a bit further than I was before.

Attached Files:

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.