takes 5 - 10 minutes to load Parallels 13.3 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Svirsky, May 19, 2018.

1. Svirsky

Svirsky Junior Member

Imac 27 most recent version of all software.

What can I do to speed up startup performance I only use Windows for Quickbooks. Please someone send suggestions, have no patience for this

2. Hi Svirsky. If you have any antivirus application installed on your Mac, please disable/uninstall it and check if it works fine.

3. Svirsky

Svirsky Junior Member

Sathiya, thank you for responding, I do not have any antivirus application installed on the mac. I stil, have a slow boot problem and even slower opening up Quick books . Can we make phone appointment to see how long it takes. Being mainly a Mac user, I update windows 10 every Saturday so I know Microsoft software it is up to date. Parallels auto updates so I know that is most current. Are their sections to clean out, can I start up with extensions disabled. I have nothing fancy other than Quick books on this machine. Welcome your help . John

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Svirsky, before we make a phone appointment, we would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below to fix the slow startup issue in Windows virtual machine.
    Inside the Windows press the Start button > Cogwheel Settings icon > System > Power and sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Turn on fast startup (recommended) > Uncheck > Save changes.

5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

We have received your response by e-mail, as quoted below. Please post your responses directly in this thread henceforth (i.e., if you are seeing this message in your mailbox right now, then do not respond to this e-mail - just visit the thread you posted in before and provide your response there).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sorry for the delay. I wanted to wait until new Parallels version and
    toolbox came out still taking over 10 minutes to load between windows 10
    and Quickbooks Pro. Please help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Slow boot is mostly caused by 3rd-party Windows applications. Please boot Windows in safe mode and see if that makes a difference in boot time.

6. Svirsky

Svirsky Junior Member

Hemnath, I have tried you suggestion and booted in Windows safe mode it helped a little but not dramatically. I am not familiar with the workings of Windows 10, How do I return to its natural settings other than Quickbooks I have no other other program other than what came with Windows 10. At this point I think I have earned the right for someone to come on my computer and see what the issue is, It is way too painful to open parallels and then even worst to open QB

7. Please refer this article and perform a clean boot in the virtual machine which should resolve the issue.

8. MichaelD31

MichaelD31 Bit poster

Have a similar issue. After booting machine up after being shutdown and powered off. When starting Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Business Edition Version 13.3.1 (43365) it sometime will not start and other time takes 5-10 minute to come up. Once it finally come up, if it comes up, loading a selected the VM is pretty fast. My windows version is still Windows 7. This is a Parallels issue, not a windows issue, because it hasn't even looked at the VM I'm going to load yet.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MichaelD31, please disconnect USB devices if any before starting the virtual machine and check out the performance. If the issue persists, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

10. MichaelD31

MichaelD31 Bit poster

Paul Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I tried this with no USB devices attached. Config used: power, WiFi network, 2 Thunderbolt connected displays. Problem still occurred. Long delay before Parallels came up. Would you have any other suggestions?

Report Id: 261164794

Additional information added 5/19/2018
    The issue does NOT occur if I disable WIFI before I start Parallels.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. MichaelD31

MichaelD31 Bit poster

I sent the report you asked for, and how to bypass the issue until you have a fix.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  12. NickM4

NickM4 Bit poster

Hi I'm have the same problem as a large number of people. I'm using Parallels 13 (latest) on a Mac (10.13) and it take about 5-10 mins to load, I've tried all the suggested I can find, from disabling any AV software, excluding VM folder from virus scan, disabling USB3, etc. I have an almost identical installation on another machine which works perfectly, the only difference being that one is running Parallels 12.

13. MichaelD31

MichaelD31 Bit poster

@NickM4
    I recently updated Parallels to Version 13.3.2 (43368), it has greatly improve this situation, but it still some times hangs until I temporarily disable networking.

Hope this helps. Parallels support appears to have chosen to ignore this issue in this thread.

14. PaulC25

PaulC25 Bit poster

I have the same issue. Takes upto 10 minute to start....

2017 Imac Pro 27"
    Windows 10
    Version 14.1.3 (45485)