Taskbar stuck at cursor spinner after successful Win7 login

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by iduff, Feb 5, 2015.

1. iduff

iduff Product Expert

MacBook Pro 6,1 - 17", 8GB RAM, 2.66GHz Core i7
    OS X 10.10.2
    Parallels 10.1.3 (28868)
    Win7 Enterprise SP1

I've run into an issue that I can't seem to resolve. After successfully logging in, when I pull the cursor down to the taskbar, it turns from the expected arrow into the "please wait" spinner, and stays that way while hovering over the taskbar beyond my threshold of patience. I've booted and logged in and let it run in the background for hours, with no change.

Recent changes: I updated my domain login password. No software installs, no config changes. I was able to use my system for short while after updating my domain password, including a couple of reboots. Then it went pear-shaped.

There's nothing obvious to me in Task Manager soaking up resources and causing this. explorer.exe is consistently in the 20-25% CPU range, and svchost.exe is consistently in the 10-15% CPU range. There's also nothing obvious to me in the host OS X's Activity Monitor impacting Parallels.

I've stopped and restarted explorer.exe, with no change. I've killed the svchost.exe process instance, with no change.

Thoughts?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Look at the Event Viewer.

3. iduff

iduff Product Expert

@Specimen, thanks, good advice, forgot about Event Viewer.

Scoured it, nothing jumped out, so I just restored a few day old Time Machine backup of the entire VM. Seems like it's happy.