TEAC USB Floppy Drive experience

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gemillam, May 7, 2006.

1. gemillam

gemillam Junior Member

Maybe someone here has a good idea about this. I have a CoreDuo iMac, which is using Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta 6 running XP Pro SP2. I have successfully mounted a TEAC USB floppy into the VM and can transfer files to and from a floppy with XP. It maps the drive to b: and the Device Manager corrrectly identifies the device as a TEAC USB floppy drive.

However, XP treats it as a mounted hard disk; ejecting the floppy and putting in another one results in an I/O error window. I have to uninstall the device, unplug it from the Mac, pop out the disk, put in another, and then ask the Device Manager to look for new hardware to get it to see a new floppy.

Very backward and annoying. It is much easier just to mount it into the Mac, copy files to the folder I have that it shares with XP, and open the files from there.

Is there a method to using the floppy drive in the way that you would normally with a PC? Such as pushing the button, ejecting the disk, sliding in another, then refreshing the b: window to see the new contents? Or, better yet, getting Parallels to see the USB drive as the main floppy drive?

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

It would be nice if Parallels saw my USB floppy drive as a floppy drive. I haven't tried it yet though. I don't really have a ton of need for it, although usually when I do need to use a floppy, it's an emergency of some kind. :)