Text not displaying within Windows 11 VM after updating to Parallels Desktop 19

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MicahG, Jan 4, 2024.

1. MicahG

MicahG Bit poster

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? I'd like to avoid reinstalling my vm's back running Parallels 18?
    I've tried adjusting Parallels 19's display / hardware settings, running Windows cmd prompt system scans, re-installing Windows and running all system updates... Any ideas on possible troubleshooting methods to resolve? Image 1-5-24 at 12.33 AM.jpg ?

2. PeterK36

PeterK36 Bit poster

Hi!
    Same for me after upgrading to Parallels 19. No text in the menus. Windows 11 is unusable like this.

3. ChrisC75

ChrisC75 Bit poster

Same problem, did anyone figure this out?

4. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

5. tonza

tonza Member

Does the problem also appear when your virtual machine is running under Retina Display resolution? That changes the system font used, so it may be able to coax Windows into displaying its text!

Select View > Retina Resolution > Best for Retina display and see whether the text appears then. If it doesn't... you may have to re-install Windows (in another virtual machine?) to see if that rectifies the problem.

6. ChrisC75

ChrisC75 Bit poster

7. ChrisC75

ChrisC75 Bit poster

I spent hours reinstalling windows and parallels I finally fixed it by adding the flag "video.metal=0" to the boot order advanced settings flags. After that windows is working great and all menus are perfect!

PeterS100, MattH20 and tonza like this.
  8. PeterS100

PeterS100 Junior Member

Thanks very much for this advice it now works for me as well running W11 on par 17