The future of Parallels to support Windows 11 - DirectX 12, WDDM 2.0, and TPM 2.0 missing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by SimonZ2, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

This is a question about the uncertain future for Parallels to be compatible with Windows 11 upgrade. The minimum requirement of Windows 11 clearly denotes that supporting DirectX 12, WDDM 2.0, and TPM 2.0 is mandatory.

It is confirmed by the knowledge base of Parallels that TPM 2.0 support will be added to the M1 version Parallels in the future updates. (see the note section on https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702) This solves one concern, but others are remaining. Is DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0 support on the plan for Parallels to run Windows 11? The official confirmation would be very helpful to address the uncertainty.

2. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Agreed, they really need to offer an official statement ASAP.
    My guess is that they will prioritise TPM and DX12 support now that it is mandatory. I assume that the vast majority of Parallels users use it primarily to run Windows and without these features it will be impossible to do so. Even running Windows 10 is now a problem without these features because access to the Dev Channel is locked for new users.

3. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

Dxdiag in the Windows 10 running under PD, shows driver model WDDM 1.2 and DirectX 11 support.

I think beta channel will be switched to the 21H2 builds very soon, so it will be possible to receive new builds which support x64 emulation through beta channel.

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

The Beta Channel is closed to new users too. Only the Release Preview Channel is available to them. That might switch to 21H2 builds too, but how are new users supposed to get them? They can only download build 21354 as a VHDX which might still be far ahead of the builds in the Release Preview Channel even after the switch to 21H2.

5. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

Build 22000 is downloading in dev channel. Will it work? :)

6. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Good luck. Let us know if it's working.

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  7. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

Insider preview is out

8. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

No luck

upload_2021-6-28_13-54-55.png

9. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

Installed via dev channel and working!

How exactly you've trying to install Windows 11?

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  10. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

it just showed up in Windows Update.

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  11. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Bit Poster

Yes Windows 11 update installed perfectly for me

12. GiovanniM7

GiovanniM7 Bit Poster

works for me!

13. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

An update about the new Windows 11 Insider Preview: it has been successfully installed on the new M1 Mac via Parallels. However, the incompatibility message still reminds that if the compatibility issue is not solved users will need to clean install to Windows 10, losing all the data.

It is a Microsoft's special policy to allow Insiders register before 24 June to receive Windows 11 Insider Preview even if their hardware does not meet the minimum requirement. I'm concerned that this won't last long. An official confirmation from Parallels is still needed.'

So far what is mostly lacking is the support of DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0.

14. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I am not fully caught up on wintel hardware but if Microsoft is forced to make an exception on the CPU generation, wouldn't they also have to make concessions on TPM? I read TPM 2.0 is the floor. Not sure how negotiable that is...meanwhile my x86 Windows 11 VM is not even setup as UEFI and it works fine. So it appears to be an artificial restriction.

15. ekohn00

ekohn00 Bit Poster

How did anyone who installed 11 from the update get around the TPM2.0 requirement?

16. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

17. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Bit Poster

There are no requirements if you were into insider dev channel before 6/24.

Several sources also state that if you will make .reg file with the following content:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
    "BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
    "BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001
    and import it into the registry, you can install Windows 11 even you were not into insider program

18. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

It's not enforced yet if you have been on the Dev Channel before Win 11 was announced. There's only a warning that you might have to install Win 10 after the official release of Win 11.

19. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

do we know what parallels presents to the VM when creating the initial boot device on M1? Is it UEFI, EFI or BIOS? Even if Parallels does enable TPM in the not too distant future, you can enable it only if UEFI is in place.

20. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Mine is UEFI and I think that's standard now.

kundanno likes this.