tom_seddon
Junior Member
When I installed Parallels 8, it helpfully (?) changed my keyboard layout from US-Dvorak to "Swiss (Apple)". (I also had US installed; this was replaced with "United States - Apple (Parallels)".)
Contrary to everything I'd previously heard about Swiss keyboards, the Swiss layout is actually just like the US-Dvorak I'm used to, so no great problem there - except that, when I'm using my external UK-style keyboard, running in Boot Camp, the backslash key (between Z and Shift) produces § (unshifted) and ± (shifted) rather than backslash. With the US-Dvorak layout this key produces \ (unshifted) and | (shifted).
I tried changing from the Swiss (Apple) layout to US-Dvorak, and I got the backslash key that I wanted, but I then got hit with the keyboard layout changing problem when running in Parallels - so I've switched back. I have enough VMs than I don't really care to hand-edit configuration files for each and every one of them.
The best fix would be for Parallels to just leave my keyboard settings alone; if Parallels just left them alone, nobody would have to feel like I'm asking anybody to care about my unusual settings
Failing that, Parallels should replace US-Dvorak with a keyboard layout that's exactly like it, rather than one that isn't.
Thanks,
--Tom
Contrary to everything I'd previously heard about Swiss keyboards, the Swiss layout is actually just like the US-Dvorak I'm used to, so no great problem there - except that, when I'm using my external UK-style keyboard, running in Boot Camp, the backslash key (between Z and Shift) produces § (unshifted) and ± (shifted) rather than backslash. With the US-Dvorak layout this key produces \ (unshifted) and | (shifted).
I tried changing from the Swiss (Apple) layout to US-Dvorak, and I got the backslash key that I wanted, but I then got hit with the keyboard layout changing problem when running in Parallels - so I've switched back. I have enough VMs than I don't really care to hand-edit configuration files for each and every one of them.
The best fix would be for Parallels to just leave my keyboard settings alone; if Parallels just left them alone, nobody would have to feel like I'm asking anybody to care about my unusual settings
Failing that, Parallels should replace US-Dvorak with a keyboard layout that's exactly like it, rather than one that isn't.
Thanks,
--Tom