The windows drive icon mounted on Mac Desktop is broken.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JaeyounY, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Hello, I'm using Parallels 10 on my Mac Book Pro Retina 15".
    Since a few weeks ago, the windows drive icon, which is automatically mounted on the Mac desktop by Parallels, has been broken.
    I remember that the icon was the network-attached drive icon, but now the icon is shown as a blank white icon ( url )

How can I restore the broken icon to the default one, or how can I change the ugly icon on my desktop with other ones?

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi JaeyounY,
    Please update Parallels Desktop 10 latest build, it is available at kb.parallels.com/111603 , once installed start Parallels Desktop > Start Virtual Machine > Go to Virtual Machine config http://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Go to options > Click on sharing > under share Windows -> un check "Shortcuts to Virtual Disks on Mac Desktop". Restart Windows > and check this options again and check if the issue still persisting.

3. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Hi, Ram, Thanks for your reply.
    I'm already using the latest version of Parallels (10.1.4 28883).
    And checking & unchecking the options followed by restarting windows didn't work at all.

Currently, there are two shortcuts on my Mac desktop; one is for my Windows drive, and the other is for Microsoft OneDrive.
    Interestingly, the broken icon is shown on my Windows drive only. The icon for OneDrive is not broken.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

5. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Reinstalled Parallels Tools in the exactly same way as the URL designates..., but no effect.

6. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello JaeyounY,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can check and assist you further with this issue.

7. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Dear Manoj,

I reported a problem, as you mentioned. The ID number is 59115890.
    I'm really expecting you to help me... soon.
    Thanks.

8. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

I'm still using the broken icon on the desktop.
    If you give me any comments, I'll try.

9. Roopesh Doshi

Roopesh Doshi Bit poster

JaeyounY, I had the same problem and was able to resolve it. I deselected the virtual machine configuration window > Options > Sharing > Share Windows > Shortcuts to virtual disks on Mac desktop option. Then I went to the *.pvm file > Show Package Contents and moved the Windows Disks folder to Trash and re-enabled the option. Parallels recreated the Windows Disks folder within the *.pvm file and the icons returned to the original. Hope that helps.

10. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Dear Roopesh Doshi,
    Thanks for your comments, I tried what you told me. But unfortunately, it doesn't work for me.
    Parallels recreated the Windows Disks folder, but the desktop shows the incorrect icon.

11. Hi @JaeyounY, we have checked your Problem Report, please upgrade the Parallels Desktop 10 to the latest build once again and provide us with the results.

12. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Hi, I upgraded to the latest build, but it doesn't work. My drive icon is same.
    However, I found a strange thing about it.
    When I see the icons in the Windows Disks folder inside .pvm package, the icons are perfect.
    But the only icon on my desktop appears a blank-document icon. And if I change the desktop icon size to the smaller values than 32x32, the the icon looks ok. But if I set the icon size larger than 32x32, then the blank icon appear again.

13. JaeyounY

JaeyounY Bit poster

Today, my situation got worse than before.
    There are 2 icons on the desktop; one for C drive and the other for Microsoft OneDrive.
    My problem was the C-drive icon was (and still is) shown corrupted, but the OneDrive icon looked good.

However, my Mac OSX halts and rebooted by itself, while my windows 8.1 on parallels was still running.
    Then, the OneDrive icon is also looking corrupted. Both C-drive icon and MS OneDrive icon are corrupted now...

Attached Files:

14. @JaeyounY please open Console (Finder-> Applications -> Utilities -> Console) and in the Console Search box (on the top) please type i/o and check the resuts.

15. Blockfish

Blockfish Bit poster

Hey Parallels (Cares?),
    Have exactly the same issue and the same steps as requested by both Parallels and the suggestion by Roopesh Doshi above does not resolve the problem. Searching through console logs return no results for "i/o". Any resolution or is this case dead?
    -Bill

16. CucamongaRed

CucamongaRed Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue and none of the posted solutions have resolved the situation. Is there anything new to try?

17. SethS1

SethS1 Junior Member

I'm having this problem, as well. I've tried all of the suggested fixes, but no luck. I should note that an external USB drive connected to thr Windows VM appears with the correct icon on the Mac desktop. Only the icon for the Windows VM C drive is hosed. Any ideas? Thanks.

18. PatrickO1

PatrickO1 Bit poster

Also having this problem. It seems that when parallels updates, it should be able to do this level of housekeeping. Icon management should not be that difficult.

19. TorontoDave

TorontoDave Bit poster

The issue is the icon for the Windows C Drive doesn't include 64x64 as used by default on OSX as of Yosemite and El Captain.

If you Control-Click on the desktop and choose view options you can change the icon size to 32x32 which will show correctly - of course - it doesn't look as nice.

Hopefully the next update includes a updated icon.

20. PatrickO1

PatrickO1 Bit poster

Thanks Dave! I'm glad to know the source of the problem and the fix. I'll leave it at 64x64, but now I know that there isn't something insidious wrong with Parallels.