"There was an error"

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by rptb1, Jun 18, 2007.

1. rptb1

rptb1 Member

I'm attempting to use Transporter to convert by Boot Camp partition into a disk image. (With Parallels 3.0 I no longer need to reboot my Mac into Windows and would like to take advantage of snapshots and undo drives.)

I have installed Parallels Transporter under Windows in the guest OS. I can successfully connect to it from Transporter under Mac OS, and the process starts OK. About half way through (after about an hour) Transporter (under Mac OS) stops, saying "There was an error". It doesn't give any clues as to what went wrong. I've tried it a couple of times, but unless I can find out what the cause of the error is there's not much I can do.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

2. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  3. kendalllister

kendalllister Bit poster

Hi Helen, I read the post you linked to, so the next question seems to be: how can we turn our Boot Camp installation into a proper virtual machine with a virtual disk? Does Parallels support this in any way?

Kendall

4. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

The feature "Migrate your Windows Boot Camp partition to Parallels virtual machine" is planned in next version of Parallels Transporter.

In current version you can use your Boot Camp Windows XP SP2/Windows Vista installation to boot in it natively via Parallels Desktop (Add Boot Camp partition as a hard disk to an existing virtual machine to use it as a data disk or
    Create a new virtual machine and choose the Use Boot Camp option for the virtual hard disk. Boot Camp Windows partition will be used as a bootable volume).

Best Regards,
    Helen.

5. rptb1

rptb1 Member

Since a Mac running Windows in Boot Camp (not in Parallels) is basically indistinguishable from PC, I reckon you might be able to do it over the network using a second machine. I'm going to give this a try and will report back.