This has probably been asked and answered but...

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by Nytemagik, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Nytemagik

Nytemagik Bit poster

I need to move a full HD worth of Windows to a VM on a new MacBook. I was told to use the new < and yes, I know BETA> Transporter for it.

I have downloaded the 3106 build and installed it on the mac.

Now what?

I am not < too> dumb, but would rather get this right the first time. :)

Thanks

John

2. Nytemagik

Nytemagik Bit poster

OK, just for anyone else reading this.
    I finally found the Transport agent for PC's, d/led it and installed it on the PC.

I got it running but could see that over the network, it was gonna take from now to judgement day to mograte so I stopped it and changed the IP's to static local IPs and connected the 2 straight together.

It's working now, and let's see what happens when it gets done.

Btw, using the latest build of the beta of P4Mac and the latest Transport i could find for PC's.

<fingers and toes crossed>

John

3. Nytemagik

Nytemagik Bit poster

Since most posts here are because something is not working, I thought I'd write to relate a success.

I installed the transporter agent on the old PC and connected the old and new with an ethernet cable and gave them static IPs.
    The old system did not show up in the window when Transporter went to look for active agents, but using the proper IP it connected fine.
    The old PC crashed the process several times and i believe it is the network card in that box. I created a new admin account and made sure the cable was seated and stable and went for it for like the 5th time.

Success!
    The migration compeleted in about 3 hours and when asked if i wanted to start the newly created VM, it booted into windows XP perfectly.

I am having a small networking issue which I posted about in the desktop for Mac list, but other than that, the "blue screen of death" is not running on my new MacBook perfectly as a clone of the old PC.

Great job guys!

John